No boost/ Whinin Noise Idles fine

T-MA71

Always broken down member
Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
Well today i got the turbo back on and the whine isn't AS loud. I have an exhaust leak now though. I'm going to have to helicoil the head and replace all the hardware. I'm going to be replacing the turbo too. It has ~220k miles on it and never been rebuilt Hope to buy one this weekend.

I'll post again after i replace everything to see if the whine goes away.

T-MA71

Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
A guy i met at a car show told me that the whining noise could possibly come from the bearings in the turbo. So i just replaced the turbo with a newer low mileage one.. So pretty much my turbo was trash hah. But months later got Rodknock :(

gemiz

Jun 1, 2009
>Norway
Was there any notable marks on the turbo Indicating that it was trash?
A lot of movement on the fans maby?

T-MA71

Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
Yea the shaft had a lot of play in it. It seemed like it rubbed the housing a little bit. But the actual fins showed no damage. Just alot of sided to side and back to front play. But either way, i replaced the turbo and the car ran great afterwords. Is this something thats happening to your car?

gemiz

Jun 1, 2009
>Norway
Same stuff happend to my car.
0PSI Boost/ Pressur from the turbo. and a high whining noise.

Have taken a look at the turbo, and the there is some movement on the shaft, but i cant see any defects. Also i have disconnected the oil and water to the turbo when i checked the shaft on the turbo... Dunno if this makes any different?

Ill go for a new turbo and hope it solve the issue...

Just sound wierd, that there is 0 pressure at all. I would belive it should make aleast some boost.