Nissan TPS wiring for a Q45 throttle body on a Supra

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
This seemed to be a popular thread on the Supraforums and maybe it will help people out here as well.

I've been asked for this several times so I decided to do a write up on how I have done mine.

The Nissan TPS uses two 3 wire connectors on it. One is on a short section of harness about 6 inches long and handles the actual throttle position signal and the other made to the body of the sensor is for the idle validation circuit which you also need or you get a code (51 I believe). With the sensor standing up, with the mounting tabs on the right side and the TPS wiring harness coming out of the bottom while your looking at it the top 2 pins in the connector made in the sensor body are your idle validation pins so disregard the bottom pin. Your TPS wiring harness that comes from the bottom of the sensor will terminate at a 3 prong plug and have red, white, and black wires in it. The wires colors correspond with these functions:

Red is the 5 volt input wire

White is the TPS signal wire

Black is the sensor return wire

With the connector lock up the white wire will be in the center, the red wire should be on the left, and the black wire should be on the right. My car is an 88 so I can give wire colors for an 88 Toyota Supra.

Brown is the E2 wire for the sensor return

Blue with a red stripe is the Vc wire for a 5 volt supply

Yellow with a blue stripe is your IDL wire for Idle validation

White with a red stripe is your VTA or throttle position signal

You take your brown E2 wire and branch it into 2 seperate leads. One will go to the idle validation switch and one will go to the TPS harness connector. You can put the one E2 wire(brown) on either the top or second post of the idle validation connector( the one made on the sensor body itself) and the IDL ( yellow with the blue stripe) will go to the other. Then the other E2 wire(brown) will go to the black wire in the Nissan TPS harness, VTA wire(white with red stripe) will go to the white wire in the Nissan TPS harness connector, and the Vc wire(blue with red stripe) with go to the red wire in the Nissan TPS harness connector.

When adjusting this sensor I found the best TPS voltage was around .385 on the sensor check of my S-AFC. This will trigger the idle validation at 3 to 4% throttle which takes alittle getting used to at the pits at the track or light cruise loads but it turned out the code and gets a 100% throttle reading on the afc. I hope this helps any questions I can answer feel free to ask.

Sean
CWF Dyno Services

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Holey old thread. Iirc you can change the little prongs for it to work with a jz or 7m tps. If you search for it you might be able to find it, but it might be tough with all the 3 letter words.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Thread is kind of old. Just wanted to point out, the photo indicates E2 in the middle and IDL on the bottom, while the scanned diagram shows E2 on top and IDL in the middle. Am I safe to assume the scanned diagram is incorrect and the photo is the correct routing? I'm trying to wire up the Nissan TPS on mine at the moment and it's throwing a 51 no matter what I do. I'm about to go out there with the meter and start probing.

mike

JNasty

i drive fast cars (supra)
Jun 25, 2005
Jacksonville fl
---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
whitemike;1599610 said:
Thread is kind of old. Just wanted to point out, the photo indicates E2 in the middle and IDL on the bottom, while the scanned diagram shows E2 on top and IDL in the middle. Am I safe to assume the scanned diagram is incorrect and the photo is the correct routing? I'm trying to wire up the Nissan TPS on mine at the moment and it's throwing a 51 no matter what I do. I'm about to go out there with the meter and start probing.

mike

so witch one are you saying is incorrect the diagram or the picture and what is the correct way? also do you have a pic and drawing that you can share so that i make sure i get this correct when i do mine..anyones suggestions would be great thanks

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
whitemike;1599610 said:

mike

Try reading the whole first post then looking at the pictures!

JNasty

Jun 25, 2005
Jacksonville fl
i know this is a stupid question but i tore my whole car down to do paint, interior and build the motor and its been about 5 years since i have really messed with it and i bought all these parts lol.. what i need to know is are there 2 pigtails that come off the stock 7m wiring harness that i will be taping into since the q45 has 2 different plugs? i cant remember on my stock tps if it had 2 or not... (ex on the tps sensor pigtail that comes from the nissan tps what to i wire it up to and then the one that is made into the nissan tps sensor what do i wire it into)..

edit: i think i got it, you run both nissan plugs from the throttle body to the 4 wires in the 1 harness that is coming from themain toyota harness right?? also what do i do with the vacuum and water ports on the nissan throttle body? are they needed? and also i dont need the large spring mekanisme on the bottom of the throttle body, thats only for the nissans right?

Last edited:

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
You don't need any of the Nissan ports for water or vacuum. The stock ecu has to see both the tps signal and the idle validation circuit.There are fou wires for Toyota to accomplish this and basically five for the Nissan because you are using two connectors. This is why you split the E2 wire since both circuits require a sensor return. When you go standalone you no longer need the idle validation circuit.

JNasty

Jun 25, 2005
Jacksonville fl
what about with a mapecu 2 cause i am running that system? even so i can just hook it up like it shows i guess it wont hurt anything right?

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
As far as I know the Map Ecu is a piggyback system so it should be hooked up the same as with just using the stock ecu. I ran an HKS VPC and an S-AFC for years like this.

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
Since i'm in the process of trying to figure this wiring out and get my Nissan TPS wired correctly i thought i should share some photos.

I have a 90T and i think the color coded wires for the TPS on 89+ are the same as for the 88 as mentioned by X-Man. Here are pictures to prove i actually cut the heat shielding on my wiring harness to expose the 4 TPS wires and the colors match up as the PRE-89.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

So X-Man, only the two top wires are used on this plug right? If i read your post correctly. The top green wire is the IDL, middle black wire is E2, bottom red wire is "NOT USED"???
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Also in your "Diagram" you provided the bottom shape where you wrote "TOP" on it. What did you mean when you said "TOP"? "TOP" of what?

Also in the "Diagram" where you pencil drawned it and the photo where you Photoshop white swiggly lines to the E2 and IDL. If i'm not mistaken the pencil drawn diagram the E2 is on the top and the IDL is in the middle?? On the Photoshop picture the IDL is on the top and the E2 is in the middle cause the throttle body is turned upside down?

Thanks for your help as i'm serious about getting my wires wired in correctly.

These are just miscellaneous photos:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg