Nissan guy builds a Toyota

ZFast300Z

Trouble
Dec 15, 2007
Wisconsin
For some odd reason, I am one of few 21 year old males in this part of the country that has an attraction to mid/late 80's Japanese sports cars. So to go along with the 300Zx I have already built, I have added a Supra to the collection.

Pictures from the day I bought it. Engine had a rod knock.
p900084_1.jpg

p900084_2.jpg

p900084_3.jpg

p900084_4.jpg

I dont know specifics about things like the wheels (brand/model etc) or the lowering springs but I do know that it is a 1989 RUST FREE!!!! chassis that is going to make the foundation for a great project.

Already purchased parts include:
Masterpower T70
Tial 38mm Wastegate
Blitz BOV
Lexus MAF
550 cc/min RC Engineering injectors

Supposedly the car already has a Fidanza Flywheel and an ACT clutch. I dont take the word of a 16 year old kid very often so I'll wait to say for sure until I have pulled the trans and verified they are there.

Plans include full rebuild with oil mods, metal headgasket and ARP studs, port and polished head (done myself), FFIM with Q45 throttle body, Shine Auto front lip and repaint in factory red. I also plan to go from the skinny 17s that are on there to a nice staggered 17" package with a nice lip.

Pics will be posted as project progresses.

mizuboi

Feb 26, 2007
cypress
looks good i wish my supra looked like that and was rust free when i bought it

good luck with the build!

ZFast300Z

Trouble
Dec 15, 2007
Wisconsin
Thanks guys. I'll check out that midwest section.

Yeah it was really nice finding a rust free car after all the work I had to go through with my Z. With my 300 I had to replace the right rear quarter panel and door sill. Not something I look forward to having to do again. More pictures coming tomorrow!

ZFast300Z

Trouble
Dec 15, 2007
Wisconsin
Having a red supra was not originally my first choice (sorry red car owners). As a matter of a fact its the only non-white/black car I own. I was looking forever for a white Supra to park in the garage next to my white 300zx, but the Supra I bought was a deal and rust free in the midwest is amazing! And now the more that I look at it and work on it, the more I have decided that I dont want it to be any color but red. I just cant decided if i want to do black moldings or red moldings when i hve the car repainted.

I will still find a white car too, but for now this red definitely has its spot in my heart. (And along that line, the girlfriend is starting to get pissed because cars are starting to take up all the spots that used to belong to her!)

ZFast300Z

Trouble
Dec 15, 2007
Wisconsin
Just seeing the picture in your sig, ForcedTorque, is making me love the fact that I bought this red car even more! I have a little bit of a background in turbocharged cars, and by little I mean way way to much for a normal sane person. I've found that research and other peoples knowledge can save a lot of time in trial and error. Unfortunately when I started my Z project it seemed like I was pioneering everything I was doing. Not that I mind, but it really sucks to buy a $1000 turbo only to find out that it wont fit because the frame rail is in the way. Having a source of information like SM is a great change in that I can use other peoples experiences and success stories to create my own. I'm not looking for a drag car here. I already have that in the 300Zx. Im just looking for something in the ballpark of 400/450ish wheel horsepower, that I can go top of cruising in during the summer months, have a blast driving, and not have to worry about its reliability because its tuned to the ragged edge.

The only questions I really have about what I am doing is about the manifolds. The previous owner gave me the cast iron manifold that has a flange for a T4 welded on to it and the Tial wastegate flange welded on as well. However I would prefer to go with a tubular manifold. I looked at vendors of this site, and they have a tubular, Stainless manifold for $400ish range. I wonder what the quality of these manifolds are, as must SS, tubular turbo headers that I have dealt with run in the 800-1000 range. Also does anyone (Ron i believe his name was) still make FFIM and sale them, or is it find a used one/make your own? I wouldn't mind making my own, as I had to for my 300, but is one of those areas where I believe experience with design can save a lot of heartaches and I'd be willing to pay to prevent those heartaches.

ZFast300Z

Trouble
Dec 15, 2007
Wisconsin
Thank god for 42 degree days in Wisconsin during January. Almost ready to pull the engine and transmission.

Here are a few quick 300zx pictures. Dont have time to upload any right now so Ill just throw up the ones from my photbucket.
p901462_1.jpg

p901462_2.jpg

p901462_3.jpg

p901462_4.jpg

p901462_5.jpg

And if any of you are interested in having your cylinder head gasket matched, ported, and/or polished feel free to get a hold of me. Its something I do in my spare time. This is one of my 300zx cylinder heads. Roughly 20 hours went into both heads. This picture has been flipped upside-down so you can see how the cylinder head would sit on the top of the block. In reality the bottom of the picture is my ceiling and then top is the table.
p901462_6.jpg

ZFast300Z

Trouble
Dec 15, 2007
Wisconsin
Thanks for the compliments. Its amazing how fast Wisconsin weather can turn bad. Its went from 42 to 30 degrees in a matter of 10 minutes. And ofcourse my garage heater is broken so work with progress no farther today. However I did take some picks of the work the wonderful PREVIOUS OWNER did. God I love buying cars that suffer from PO syndrome. I'll get them up just a little bit later this evening for comedy hour. I have never seen anyone home make a MAF before!