Newer MKIII Rims Plus Powdercoat

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
how much are the 5 spoke 16" MKIII rims going for these days? and how much does it cost on average to get 4 rims powdercoated? i was just looking around and found a lot of different color combinations on those rims and like what im seeing. i wanna rack up an average of how much it would cost to do this for myself.

thanks robeats91t for inspiration!

brad92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2006
Lexington, KY
www.haxors.us
theKnifeArtist said:
how much are the 5 spoke 16" MKIII rims going for these days? and how much does it cost on average to get 4 rims powdercoated? i was just looking around and found a lot of different color combinations on those rims and like what im seeing. i wanna rack up an average of how much it would cost to do this for myself.

thanks robeats91t for inspiration!

i have a related question that may be stupid, i'm not sure..

can you even powder coat the plastic center cap?

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
yes you can powder coat the rim. the center section is plastic and might be an issue with the metal tensioner thats in the center \(might not fit correctly after the powdercoat if it was done) many guys just paint them. as for the cost ive seen sets go from 150-400 depending on condition, tires, condition of the center caps and if they are all there.

thesandymancan

a.k.a: mittens
Mar 7, 2006
boise, idaho
dont know about the powder center caps, but i just picked up a set of mkiii 5 spokes for $100, with tires! granted one was a hard racing slick. i also want to have mine powder coated.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
correct me if im wrong but...

powdercoating works by applying a charge to the metal, making it magnetized correct? I dont think that would work on the center cap :dunno:

Jon

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
yes and there is where i was wondering how the plastic would hold up...... could be interesting results.....

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
You can NOT powdercoat plastic.
The part that was mentioned about electrical charge being placed on the item to be powdercoated, well... electrons don't flow too well through plastic. A major reason that it is used as an insulator.
End of story there... lol

Just paint it. There are plenty of paints out there that will match whatever powdercoat you choose.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
YOU CAN POWDERCOAT PLASTIC, Ive seen it done.

It can become static just like any thing else.

Only problem is that most plastics don't hold up to the heat that is required to cure the powder into powder coating.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
i'd like to get them professionally powercoated cuz i know i would totally feck em up myself. if there anyway to get it powercoated black and have a shiny lip?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

i dont know whose car this is..but i like the ways the wheels are done.

ross1

Jul 14, 2005
va
i think the polishing goes something along the lines of like 600 grit paper, then 1k grit paper (might be wet sand for both grits) then some nice polishing comound til you get them as shiny as you want then put a coat of wax on the keep the raw metal protected... some or all of this could be wrong but this is what i think i read about how to polish

ross