Newbie question

B

Big Mike

I just want to get some inputs from seasoned Supra owners on the purchase of a MKIII 1988 N/A Supra. The guys is selling the vehicle for $5950, is this to much? He did have the car painted (red) at the Toyaota dealership, it looks great, he also has new toyota rims and tires on the car. All of the side molding was replaced also. He replaced the clutch and the car interior is immaculate. The car doesn't have a rust spot or dent in it. I did some research in KBB and the best private party price is $1600. Even retail is only $2855, granted the car looks like it has been garaged since it was purchased I don't want to pay to much for a 17 year old car with 280,000 miles on it. I have always wanted a Supra and it would be a great hooby car for me since these things can make ungodly amounts of power. I was thinking about offering $3000 since he did have it painted and has receipts for the tires/rims and clutch replacement. What do you guys think?

Mike
:1zhelp:

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
personally I would say 3000 is still high. What I would do if I were you is, if I were to offer almost double the blue book value, i would get the car thouroghly check my a mechanic. 280,000 mile is ALOT. If everything is mechanically good then it might be worth going after. but hey... you could always offer as low as you want. Maybe even start at 2000 or 2500.

How about some pics?

ekd663

Nov 7, 2005
WI
Well definatly don't pay $5950 for it. It might be worth that much if it was a turbo with 30,000 miles, but not an NA with 280,000. I guess $3000 is a good offer, but personally I would try to stay away from a car with that many miles. I ended up paying $3200 for my 86.5 NA with 90,000.

B

Big Mike

Thanks for the feedback fellas. You guys have nice cars!!! I am kinda skeptical about the milage also, don't get me wrong toyota makes a reliable car but it might need a engine rebuilt anytime and that could be expensive. I might offer $2000 and state that due to the high mileage I will have to have the engine overhauled.

Mike
:icon_bigg

B

Big Mike

I will go over a take a couple of pics this morning since the car is down the street from my house.

nhum

Consequence
Aug 25, 2005
VA
Are you plan on modifying the N/A car? Example: putting a turbo on it. If you are, I would look for a turbo car. I drove over 200 miles to pick mine up. It's well worth it.
If you have too much money to spend, go ahead and pay for more than $1600.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
Yeah,that amount is way to much for a N/A. Just hold out and get a lower mlileage 7MGTE. The turbo version is the model I would suggest,as the 7MGE has too many limitations as far as making good hp.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Thats way too much for an NA with THAT many miles. I wouldn't pay over a grand for a car with 280k miles no matter what the outside looks like.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Try this. Go to a local paintshop (NOT maaco) and get a quote on a paint job - the full meal deal, painting everything, not just the exterior.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts it's less than $5k.

So now you should be able to find a nice turbo car that is mechanically mint, and restore the paint to better than this guy's car, for the same money or less - and you'll have a better car.

jimmyjames

all white
Apr 18, 2005
south milwaukee
get a turbo!!!!! not na unless you know alot about supras. you said you want power, dont buy an na my friend bought an na for 4200 and i have a turbo for 3400 with 300 hp dont waste money on a na if you want to go fast

7MGTESUPRAMAN

Aug 8, 2005
Macon, GA
I would not pay that much for an N/A. I bought my 89t last year for 6k. The car had 80k miles on it but the engine only had around 20k on it, recently painted by the previous owner and it came with a cd player. For the price of that car I would look for a turbo instead.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
OK..bigmike...did you get that?? We all have them, and we all keep tabs on them, and we all know about these cars.

I have a very excellent 89 n/a I'll sell ya for $5995. 150K original on body. Rebuilt LSD rearend, 50K on motor & trans. Just about new every other friggin' thing on it !!
Get my point...Enough said. Forget that one and find a turbo to 'go fast'

PS...I got too much time and $$$ invested in my car, so you can't have it!!!
Plus, I LOVE to drive it every day !!! 'cause its one of the funnest cars I've owned !!! And I've actually owned 56 cars, vans, and trucks.

B

Big Mike

I am going to take everyone's advice and keep searching for a turbo supra. I do want more HP and it would be a lot easier to start with a car designed for that extra boost. I am suppose to go test drive the car this morning, I was going to offer him $1800 for the car but now I'm going for the turbo. I still owe you guys some pics, I will upload these as soon as I'm done with the test drive.

Thanks!!

Mike

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Big Mike said:
I just want to get some inputs from seasoned Supra owners on the purchase of a MKIII 1988 N/A Supra. The guys is selling the vehicle for $5950, is this to much? He did have the car painted (red) at the Toyaota dealership, it looks great, he also has new toyota rims and tires on the car. All of the side molding was replaced also. He replaced the clutch and the car interior is immaculate. The car doesn't have a rust spot or dent in it. I did some research in KBB and the best private party price is $1600. Even retail is only $2855, granted the car looks like it has been garaged since it was purchased I don't want to pay to much for a 17 year old car with 280,000 miles on it. I have always wanted a Supra and it would be a great hooby car for me since these things can make ungodly amounts of power. I was thinking about offering $3000 since he did have it painted and has receipts for the tires/rims and clutch replacement. What do you guys think?

Mike
:1zhelp:

288k miles?

albertmdh

Apr 7, 2005
Fredericksburg, VA
not many of us payed more than 2k for turbo cars with half the miles... If i have a car with that many miles, I want to have put most of them on it myself. Especially with a sports car. That is all.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Actually, that much is way too much for for GE or GTE with those miles. Even running good, the engine is well worn and could end up being a smoker. Look at my pictures for my 91 that is near mint with 120k miles. I paid $4500.

With a good body, I would offer $2000. He will say no, but his car will still be for sale many months from now. Dont believe his, "these cars go for $10k" line. Some do with very low miles, most dont.

Watch for it on ebay.