Newb question about harness?

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
Hi everyone, this will be my first post here in SM...! I have an 89 T 5 spd and was just wondering if a 90-92 T 5 spd harness will work? My original harness was molested by the previous owner with numerous splices and jimmy rigged connections. I have done a search on other forums but it seems everybodys got their own opinions especially with the 89 years. For example some say that early 89 models are more considered 88, and later 89 models are somewhat more similar to 90 models. My ecu does have the grey plugs and not the yellow, so I am pretty sure that 90-92 should work....I just need some more input before I go and purchase this harness. Also any input on differences or will be greatly appreciated. Thx!

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
92nsx;1284017 said:
Yes it will work for you.

Correction, it will work for you, with some work done to it.

The harnesses differ 3 different times fro the Turbo Supra's.

'87-88, Some early '89's Yellow plug
'89-90 Gray plug,
'91-92 Still Gray plug but wires are in different locations, plugs will not fit each other correctly.

So will careful modification, it will work.

the ECU will work from '89-92, and all the plugs will fit, but the In dash plugs are the things that differ from the years I listed.

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
Cool, that is like music to my ears! thx alot.

BTW, i have seen some differences when it comes to the Water outlet housing...some have 2 sensors others have 3! On mine right now i have 3 plugs on the housing...but then again i really cant trust the way my engine harness was setup due to the previous owner.

Last edited:

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Yours Teal ;)

Edit: Here is the famous Water neck pic. This is how it should be set up to be correct.

p1284041_1.jpg

Last edited:

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
So, im kind of confused, which years actually had that infamous outlet setup. Sorry guys i just wanna make sure the new harness i buy wont be spliced a hundred times to make it work.