new vs. old turbos

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
garrettrowe said:
"New" turbos are in no way night and day different than "old" turbos. Correct matching of the turbo to the engine is the key. A correctly matched GT turbo will only have a 2% benefit in efficiency than it's old counterpart - that's about 1 horsepower. The gt line will spool quicker than the old turbos - they have fewer blades, and therefore less weight, and most are ball bearing. "Old" ball bearing turbo vs GT ball bearing turbo, however, the difference in spool would be minute if even noticeable.

i'm going to have to disagree.....you need to look @ the whole picture- lighter wheels, better aerodynamics, better efficiency, cooler charge temps, etc. it all adds up to a far better turbocharger....

Alpinesupra

Cars never talk back
Apr 6, 2005
mckinney, tx
drjonez said:
i'm going to have to disagree.....you need to look @ the whole picture- lighter wheels, better aerodynamics, better efficiency, cooler charge temps, etc. it all adds up to a far better turbocharger....

i would have to agree with that just based on your knowledge about turbos and from other friends with mk3's and mk4's boosting highend power.
but any info and knowledge that you guys can throw out here i need to learn from. :icon_cool
-sean