New turbo , but not boost

red90turbo

Nov 10, 2010
Vancouver,Wa
I just got done finishing a bhg, tune up ,and new turbo. The car idles around 600 and runs fine, but im not getting any boost and it feels like a N/A.

red90turbo

Nov 10, 2010
Vancouver,Wa
On the boost gauge it shows 0psi when idling and when i start to go it drops down -4psi and then goes back up to 0psi. I havent put more than 5 miles on the car and i didnt want to push it too far. I havent had time to check engine codes so far but i will this weekend.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
red90turbo;1665482 said:
On the boost gauge it shows 0psi when idling and when i start to go it drops down -4psi and then goes back up to 0psi. I havent put more than 5 miles on the car and i didnt want to push it too far. I havent had time to check engine codes so far but i will this weekend.

?? 0 @ idle, should be -17 to 22 in hg... OH wait you are still just using stock gauge, is that correct? Still I do not think it should read zero at idle... Have you checked vacuum with a tester gauge both at the boost gauge sensor and at the plenum? Do you have any kind of boost controller connected or are you using WG spring pressure only?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
You should have 17-22HG for your vaccum reading at idle. If not, you have a major leak in your intercooler piping, intake manifold gaskets or your accordian hose....

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
IBoughtASupra;1665490 said:
You should have 17-22HG for your vaccum reading at idle. If not, you have a major leak in your intercooler piping, intake manifold gaskets or your accordian hose....

The vacuum at idle is created by the throttle plate being closed, so the leak would have to be after the TB before the engine.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Well, just saying, I had my charge pipe off and it read zero on my AEM gauge.

So the leak has to be one of the two intake manifold gaskets or the throttle body gasket. Replace all three at once so you won't have to worry about it.

red90turbo

Nov 10, 2010
Vancouver,Wa
When i replaced the headgasket i also replaced all of the gaskets on the head including all the intake manifold gaskets too ,can i check them without breaking/tearing the gaskets

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Does the engine idle properly? You said it basically drives perfect besides not building boost? Check codes and get back to us. Use a mechanical vacuum gauge on a good manifold vacuum source, sounds like you have the gauge sender hooked up to ported vacuum or theres something wrong with the gauge/sender (it shouldn't be connected to any of the ports on the throttle body, those don't measure actual manifold vacuum).

bikerdude198

Jan 20, 2011
canada
a trick i use with snowmobiles to find intake leaks, carefully spray a little ether ( usually known as quick start or liquid fire, available at most auto parts stores ) around and listen, the idle speed will change when you find the leak. Might want to put on safety gogles when working with ether around a running engine.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
bikerdude198;1665722 said:
a trick i use with snowmobiles to find intake leaks, carefully spray a little ether ( usually known as quick start or liquid fire, available at most auto parts stores ) around and listen, the idle speed will change when you find the leak. Might want to put on safety gogles when working with ether around a running engine.

... and perhaps a fire extinguisher...:: angry :::icon_bigg

red90turbo

Nov 10, 2010
Vancouver,Wa
Ok i started up the car this morning and faintly misfired around 1000 rpm when warming up, and now im in the process of alignment of the CPS with the engine at TDC