New Torsen for the MK3?

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I haven't heard of these before, I didn't even know they existed. Has anyone ever encountered or heard about the T-2 torsen for the mk3?

T-2 Torsen Link

Added the pic and description for future searches where the link will not work.

[thumb]http://i41.tinypic.com/23mo7y8.jpg[/thumb]

Just in from Japan,

A Rare 8" Torsen LSD !
T-2 Helical Parallel Gear type

Same design as the
IS200 Altezza uses,
Only bigger (much bigger!)

These Just Plain Hook Up !
Excellent for fast twisty road work,
Nothing better in adverse conditions !

It is the newer T-2 (parrellel gear) design.
And are EXTREMELY RARE !

This is NOT a 16-20 year old Mk3 LSD !!
( I have those also if your on a budget )

This newer design will accept standard USDM output shafts,
unlike the older T-1 that had to have special shafts.

This type of LSD does not cause your car to get squirrelly when the road is wet,
like the cheaper spring loaded clutch pack,
or the 'jam-a-block' 'Phony Grip' types.
Why pay $250 for a "Phony Grip"?
( or is that phantom-slip ? )
When you can have a Helical !!

Or worse yet,
Pay anything for a
Cheap Cheezy XBO LSD !
You know the ones,
that come without bearings,
that are made by the same
people who make Cheap Cheezy
turbo manifolds & tail lights.

It does not require special lsd lube.
And is a must for any type of SCCA road racing, auto-cross, or ralleys.
And it is in the USA!

I use this same LSD in my All Motor Cressida,
shown here in Sport Compact Reader's rides:
Click to see his Cressida

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
lol, I SOOOO want it, believe me, but I have very few of those green things left in my pocket. I asked him what it's from, I don't know if he'll tell.

e-mail him and ask him for the part number so you can "verify" it's the right one ;)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Just so you guys know, that's 7M-Fanatic. Gordon is, lets say, a bit "volatile". He gets rare parts, but you don't want to have a run in with him. Keep in mind, a lot of these parts require modification to work. In the case of this torson, you have to have the correct output shafts or it will not function.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Supposedly not.

There was a discussion about this torsen before, but nobody could hunt down the part number for it. It's still made and available from what I remember, but it's a JDM only part...

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
From the e-bay ad it says it utilizes the USDM half shafts.

I saw his username floating around here before, so when I saw his name for a part I was looking at I checked his items out and found this.

Does anyone run something like this?

From the little info I could muster it seems that the torsen internals from the following cars will work in a MA70 supra, the first two may not surprise anyone. Bear in mind I'm not 100% sure about this info nor about what half shafts to use (except the first one). I also assume for the swap the unit itself is transferrable, keeping the pumpkin, ring and pinion, and not sure about half shafts.

Supra
-----
JZA70 08/90-05/93 Torsen
GA70 02/86-05/93 Torsen

Mark II/Chaser/Cresta
---------------------
JZX90 10/92-08/96 TourerV Torsen
JZX100 09/96 TourerV Torsen

I haven't found much past that. My next step was to find out if any of these cars do in fact come with Torsens, I know the JZA70's do. I recall the GA70's coming with them as well from what I read on here, but I'm not too sure since I don't read too much about them. As for the other models I don't know much about them as well so if someone wants to save me some time and help anyone out who's reading this to chime about the bottom two cars being equipped with torsens, go ahead.

I guess the only thing to do after this before actually attempting to install a unit in one of our pumpkins is to find a non-supra car from the list above with a Torsen and try bolting MA70 half shafts to it or JZA70 half shafts to it. If either of them fit it's plausible to attempt using one of the unit for an install, knowing the shafts will bolt up. The mystery questions left to answer will be found out when doing the install. Whether it works or fails, we'll know. Hopefully it works though.

Without getting ahead of myself. I need to make a start with checking if my info is correct, do the chasers, markII's and cresta's come equipped with torsens, does anyone know for sure?

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
41301-53020

Torsen LSD from a JCE10 Altezza Gita RWD and the USDM Lexus IS300 (01-05).

Will definitely fit into the MA70 case, and I'm about 90% sure our axle stubs should fit it.

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Retail is about $2500, I'd think you could get one from your local Lexus dealership within a few weeks.

It seems it probably fit a few other cars as well (perhaps IS250 and GS300). I'll need to check into those.

Not cheap new from Lexus though, that's for sure.

Jeff

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
OUCH! and of course it's not going to be easy to track one down out of a donor car as they're not available here...

I have the money, but the car needs other things right now...this sucks LOL

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
That was easier than I thought, getting one from an 01-05 IS300 would probably be my best bet, which is semi-good new since I won't be able to do it too soon, giving it time for these to become more available at a cheaper price. Thanks for the part number Jeff.

What's the story on the new avatar Poodles?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
IJ.;1316242 said:
I'd be making 100% sure of the carrier dimensions before dropping the coin to get one guys.

I verified some things before posting what I did:

The side bearings are the same between the A70 and the JCE10. TRD lists the same LSD for the JCE10 and the A70 (41301-JX001), which means ring gear fitment should be correct, as well as the dimensions should fit the MA70 case. The only thing that really concerns me is that the JCE10 axle stubs are likely approximately 6mm longer than the MA70 axle stubs. I doubt this would cause any real issues with the OEM Torsen LSD, however I can't say for sure whether or not it would cause any problems.

The reason I believe this is because the TRD LSD does not require any side shaft modifications to use in the MA70 pumpkin, however TRD states that the JCE10 shafts need to be shortened 6mm to be used with the their LSD.

Guyana00;1316243 said:
Does anyone know what kind of Torsen this is? T-2, T-2R?

T-2, not T-2R.

Jeff

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Doward;1316299 said:
Exactly what's wrong with our stock LSD?

The biggest problem is the inevitability of the clutch packs wearing down on stock LSD's and rebuilds aren't very cheap. With the age of our cars, finding ones that aren't worn too much is hard. They are letively maintenance free and have longer lives.

The torsen design prevents axle windup with practically zero torque transfer between axels when braking.

Torsen reacts quicker to slippage and tries to prevent rather than letting it happen and correcting.

LSD's are great as well, I consider the Torsen an upgrade. Nothing is necessarily 'wrong' with ours, but there are differences on behaviour I want.