New to the Mk3 not supras.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Velocityfreak;1335294 said:
Am I really wrong or did I call you out Jet Jock? The person who never gets called out because he is the one doing the calling, then please explain to me exactly how the EGR system works. And what is its intended purpose, and why when removed the vehicle has more power and gets less MPG.

I am all ears, because you have not reviewed your BGB in a long time, explain why valve B always has vacuum? and Why the exhaust system has pressure build up between the manifold and cat, and there is vacuum in the intake manifold. The pressure difference is seen by the EGR vac modulator. The lines are always connected valve B and are always open on the EGR unless intake vacuum is above 600mmHg, in which case valve B closes off.

Dont be surprised that someone knows more than you, because there will always be someone better than you, and you may have spent years on the forums, but it only takes one comment to light a fire. My suggestion is to acknowledge and move on.

I am over it, I know who is right. Your knowledge precedes me when it comes to electronics, I cant surpass that knowledge, but just be aware you are not always right.

Have you even looked at this:

7M-GTE EGR Diagram.gif

- The EGR is inop at idle...the vac port is forward of the TB plate when it is closed. It's impossible for it to be active as a result.
- The TCCS controls the EGR VSV...above ~4000 RPM it closes the VSV, cutting off vacuum to the EGR. Therefore it is inop and can have no effect on the HP at WOT.
- Fuel wise, EGR enriched fuel mixtures burn at a slower rate, this means that it will take a longer time for the flame to propagate and the maximum pressure acceleration point will occur later. This keeps combustion chamber temps down. The EGR enriched AF mixture will resist detonation as a result, allowing the ECU to advance timing to max cruise efficiency. It also reduces engine pumping loss on a NA motor.
- Per above (on a stock USDM ECU), removing the EGR increases the possibility of high load, part throttle detonation. The USDM TCCS fuel and timing maps are tuned for the presence of an EGR.

Take your own advice - acknowledge you are wrong and move on.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
But, but...where's valve A and B? Check your BGB dammit! ;)

Not worth it John. Not only is he clueless but making less sense by the post and contradicting himself to boot. Must be the feedback from dad is confusing the crap out of him.

Freak: While I usually explain when someone is wrong with people like you I'd prefer they learn why on their own. It humbles them better than I ever could. That said how 'bout we let the members decide. And again, don't be posting this gibberish in Tech...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
jetjock;1335330 said:
But, but...where's valve A and B? Check your BGB dammit! ;)

Not worth it John. Not only is he clueless but making less sense by the post and contradicting himself to boot. Must be the feedback from dad is confusing the crap out of him.

Freak: While I usually explain when someone is wrong with people like you I'd prefer they learn why on their own. It humbles them better than I ever could. That said how 'bout we let the members decide. And again, don't be posting this gibberish in Tech...

Yep! Another twenty something with an inflated ego and no clue...as we say, "all thrust and no vector" ;)
Made me LMAO at the "calling out" comment.

He can figure it out for himself...maybe a BHG will convince him the EGR is actually useful. That is all the "splaining" I'm going to do.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I don't think he's arguing the merits of EGR (or lack of them), he's simply confused how it works. I assume he knows it's primarily there for NOx reduction with the added benefit of det suppression and therefore isn't needed (or wanted) at idle but I dunno what's going on in his bean. Sounds like a kid alright. Probably was in diapers or not even born when I bought the car. I take no pleasure in spanking him hard (which is why I'm not) but he needs to settle down. At least he's somewhat literate. Be nice if he could express himself more intelligently though...

Velocityfreak

May 28, 2009
New Hampshire
jet jock you are the one who got me in this in the first place, i was simply stating the fact there may be a difference between the US ECU and JDM ECU. Frankly I could care less about the EGR its a worthless piece of emissions crap anyway I dont fool with it cause i wanna keep my shit street legal. Those diagrams are different from the ones I am looking at. And dont go posting BS about how u think ur older all that BS. I have had more toyotas in my life than you could dream of. I go through a different toyota every month. I have 3 supras in my lot right now. Ive owned 2 mr2s, 2 celicas countless camries, Ae86s and 92s. Every EGR routing path is different. Have a look at the 5mge EGR routing and you will find that the EGR does in fact run at idle. Maybe not the 7m as you have in your diagrams, i am referring to the older style EGR where they were less refined.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Velocityfreak;1335364 said:
jet jock you are the one who got me in this in the first place, i was simply stating the fact there may be a difference between the US ECU and JDM ECU. Frankly I could care less about the EGR its a worthless piece of emissions crap anyway I dont fool with it cause i wanna keep my shit street legal. Those diagrams are different from the ones I am looking at. And dont go posting BS about how u think ur older all that BS. I have had more toyotas in my life than you could dream of. I go through a different toyota every month. I have 3 supras in my lot right now. Ive owned 2 mr2s, 2 celicas countless camries, Ae86s and 92s. Every EGR routing path is different. Have a look at the 5mge EGR routing and you will find that the EGR does in fact run at idle. Maybe not the 7m as you have in your diagrams, i am referring to the older style EGR where they were less refined.

Last I checked, the Mk III has a 7M in it...so, what does any other engine have to do with the time of day in China in this forum? And, owning a bunch of Toyotas automatically makes you an expert?

If you plan on keeping the 7M, maybe, just maybe you should learn it before you spout off. That's what both of us are referring to...the tendency of a young guy to open mouth without thinking or making bad assumptions. Usually results in "foot insertion", followed by a back pedal...like you just did ;)

Got news for you, the EGR is a lot more than a "worthless piece of emissions crap" when running a USDM TCCS. Looks like you need to discover that one for yourself.

BTW - I have a 5M...the EGR system on it is virtually identical to the 7M-GE motor and works in exactly the same way. It doesn't operate at idle for the same reason as the GTE motor...the vac port is forward of the TB plate at idle. Your statement is again, wrong. And, no other Toyota motor I'm aware operates the EGR at idle either. Think about it, what would be the point of recirculating exhaust gas at idle?

7M-GT EGR Diagram.gif