New to AEM EMS V2, stumped on starting

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
2jzge-t -3.5 MAP,IAT,fail safe WBO2, non-vvti,hx35 turbo
aem ems v2 from Dm.com

This is all new to me(engine management systems) and i just want the car to start and run so i can drive it on a trailer to install the exhaust for the WBO2 sensor and down pipe.

I have the battery fully charged in the car,the EMS plugged in and when I turn the key to start it just makes a click sound. my guess is there is an immobilizer in supra(mk3)? the battery was disconnected since september of last year.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
Check the voltage on the battery first of all.

AEM has a first start procedure in the manual, which is basically setting the base timing, choosing the correct injectors, etc. Read through that.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Doesn't Aaron provide a base map .cal to get it running? Have you chacked for spark at all? Under the wizard tab there is a place to setup the injectors, type of CAS, coolant temp and so on. Once its running you open the timing wizard and match up timing with it running.

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
aaron doesnt do base maps on NA EMS.

there where basemaps on the fireware update.

well i got it to run-kinda. i hace to pat the gas to keep it alive. it will not idle. idk how to set timing when it wont idle. btw its a FFIM with Q45 unless the q45 has a idle air control module on it there is no idle econtrol valve.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
you can set timing by cranking the motor. turn off the injectors in the aem software, and have someone crank the motor while you check the base timing with a timing light. Get the AEM synced and then turn injectors back on.

Have you set your TPS? The wizard makes it easy, takes a few seconds.

As for idle air control, you don't need it for the car to run (my car still doesn't have one) but it definitely helps keep the idle smooth.

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
oye! sounds like a starter worst nightmare.

ok so disable the injectors, use the diagnosic port e1 and te1 jumpered,clamp on plug 1 wire and the battery cables on battery for timing light, and crank the motor while pointing gun at crank? and twist the dizzy until i get 10btdc? what do i do with the aem sync wizard?

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
When you open the timing wizard you'll see it says lock timing ( probably at 10.1) which is fine and what you want to do now is with the timing light check and see if the mark on the balencer is close to that 10 mark on the timing cover. If it is not theres a red arrorw for retard or green for advance which should be right above the lock timing. You use those arrows to move the timing mark until you get it as close to that 10 as possible. Yeah its also critical to have the TPS set correctly via reading the TSRM to ensure the right voltages are being read. Using the throttle range wizard is a breaze, you set the min volt by flicking the throttle open then let it come to rest and you set the min value. For maximum you need to open the throttle all the way and while holding it open you set the maximum value.

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
Yeah I was a dumby and set the timing light at 10° and had the aem at 10° and chased it in the crank to 10° so when its added up I had it at 20°btdc
Now I'm just really lean on AFR :( 18+ AFR @idle (900rpm) 40psi on for. Currently using 525cc but I have 850cc I want to use just need to get some guidance on using aemtuner

DaveH

Feb 25, 2006
Fargo, ND
1986.5supra_kid;1945722 said:
Yeah I was a dumby and set the timing light at 10° and had the aem at 10° and chased it in the crank to 10° so when its added up I had it at 20°btdc
Now I'm just really lean on AFR :( 18+ AFR @idle (900rpm) 40psi on for. Currently using 525cc but I have 850cc I want to use just need to get some guidance on using aemtuner

Are you trying to tune drivability, or just get it so it runs and bring it to a tuner? If you are just trying to get it to run, go into the fuel map, select the cells in the range that you need to richen up, and then right click, select "% change" and then add a percentage. Repeat as necessary to get the a/f roughly where you want it.

DaveH

Feb 25, 2006
Fargo, ND
1986.5supra_kid;1945912 said:
I'll have to choice but to take it to a tuning facility. I fear I'll burn out up.

Well I got my 850cc installed and it runs rich. Black smoke with a little gas. Going to explore reducing the fuel quantity at idle

You can scale the whole fuel map by entering the previous injector size, and then enter the new injector size, and the AEM software will scale up the whole map accordinly.

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
Not sure the fuel pressure of the default map. I have just been doing one box at a time using the add value when right clicking on a cell. Time consuming. BTW I have the stock mk3 radiator still installed will this be able to cool a 450-500hp turbo motor?

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
base fuel pressure should be around 38-42psi and you'll be fine.. As for the radiator if its new, have a good fan and shroud yes.. If not better start looking for a new one

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
adam.jpg justin at BATL Grounds motorsports engineering did the tune. what i dont like is that it is hard to start(cranking for several seconds) and it misfires around 3k to 4.5k sounds like back firing and bombs going off in exhaust. but he did say that i could troubleshoot this problem by checking grounds. or wires from dizzy to ecm. so i got another harness and dizzy and im going to order another set of sparkplug cables.