New to 1JZ swap idea, please help

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
So I have a couple of questions and i guess I just missed the answers in the forum, but here goes...
1: what kind of stand alone will work for a swap like this? Everybody seems to just know what will work somehow
2: will a 1JZ out of a soarer work for this kind of swap?
3: how much work will it be to keep my existing auto trans rather than just use the auto that comes with the engine?
Any help that you guys can provide would be great, even if it's just a link to the thread I missed that has the answers to my questions. My biggest worry is really the electrical, I have ZERO experience with auto electrical stuff and it scares the shit outa me.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ur-1JZ-GTE-And-2JZ-GTE-Swap-Guide-For-Dummies

Soarer 1jz are pretty common. There is a sticky in this section for wiring tho I found it to be a little off.

Can use any standalone you want as long as you wire it up properly and get it tuned.

For the auto not to sure what all needs to be done for that as its not my cup of tea. Tho if it comes with an auto it seems like it would be a lot easier to use the one it comes with as the wiring is all pnp.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
The A340E (auto trans) that I have now has a comp shift kit in it and I kinda like it. What did you find off about the wiring sticky? Im beginning to think now that a stock ECU is looking like a better option. I also like the blitz ECU but it seems to only be available in manual trans setup, does this matter?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
yhatzee89;1879471 said:
The A340E (auto trans) that I have now has a comp shift kit in it and I kinda like it. What did you find off about the wiring sticky? Im beginning to think now that a stock ECU is looking like a better option. I also like the blitz ECU but it seems to only be available in manual trans setup, does this matter?

Yes blitz ecu is only for manuals. And as far as trying to use your a340e you will need to find a bellhousing that will work and I've never seen one personally.

The swap is fairly easy I'm using a chaser 1jz with a jza70 harness and ecu I extended the wires 18inches to get it to fit in a LHD car

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Well that sucks, was wanting to have some type of upgraded ECU :/
As far as the trans goes, I thought that the 1JZ used the A340E for an auto, is this not correct?
And anything dealing with electrical makes me worry, is my best bet to just send my harness' to Dr. Tweak?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
yhatzee89;1879505 said:
Well that sucks, was wanting to have some type of upgraded ECU :/
As far as the trans goes, I thought that the 1JZ used the A340E for an auto, is this not correct?
And anything dealing with electrical makes me worry, is my best bet to just send my harness' to Dr. Tweak?

Best bet would be going to doctor tweak for sure.

Also the only trans i can find they came with is

a341
a340e

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
God I wish I could drive a 5speed still! Make my life simpler and easier lol.Guess I'll just have to see when I pick up the engine and trans in a couple of days Another question, what kind of turbo upgrades should I look into? Stock twins? Ct26?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
yhatzee89;1879517 said:
God I wish I could drive a 5speed still! Make my life simpler and easier lol.Guess I'll just have to see when I pick up the engine and trans in a couple of days Another question, what kind of turbo upgrades should I look into? Stock twins? Ct26?

If your budget permits go with a single turbo setup right of the bat.

I know you were saying before your goals are a DD with around 350whp i'm assuming?

This would be best for you

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jz57trimturbokit.php

Also if you sell that Water/meth kit i got Dibbs :)

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
yhatzee89;1879517 said:
Buy my single turbo set up lol Don't keep the stock twins. My 1J suffered because the stock fins deteriorated while the car was running and all that ceramic/metal got sucked in. Not fun. Big single is, in my opinion, always the way to go.

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
Turbo Habanero;1879520 said:
If your budget permits go with a single turbo setup right of the bat.

I know you were saying before your goals are a DD with around 350whp i'm assuming?

This would be best for you

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jz57trimturbokit.php

Also if you sell that Water/meth kit i got Dibbs :)
I have the DM67 kit, same price and you can make about 550whp with the right fuel setup and tune. PM me if you're interested. It's brand new, never installed still in bubble wrap lol

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Slayr504;1879523 said:
I have the DM67 kit, same price and you can make about 550whp with the right fuel setup and tune. PM me if you're interested. It's brand new, never installed still in bubble wrap lol

Yea it's a good kit i just didnt think the Original poster wanted that much Turbo.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
So with this kit i should be able to simply remove stock twins and bolt this kit up and be able to drive down the road, nothin else required?

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
Turbo Habanero;1879524 said:
Yea it's a good kit i just didnt think the Original poster wanted that much Turbo.

yhatzee89;1879543 said:
Lol yeah I don't need 600hp, my max would be 4-450hp. And you got it on the water/meth kit habanero.
It was just a thought. The stock 1J makes nice power as it is, I just wanted more lol
yhatzee89;1879567 said:
So with this kit i should be able to simply remove stock twins and bolt this kit up and be able to drive down the road, nothin else required?
I still think you'll need at least a piggy back ecu and a tune. I don't think 450 would require dual fuel pumps, but I could be wrong, I have been before haha give Aaron at Driftmotion a call, he'll let you know what all you will need for a safe and reliable set up.

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
yhatzee89;1879969 said:
I wish HKS made a whole turbo kit like this :/
It would likely produce the same end result as the driftmotion kit except it would be twice as expensive with a different name written on it. By no means would I try to tell you how to spend your money. I just think you would be better suited spending the difference in cost on name brand appearance and suspension. Just my $.02

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
yhatzee89;1879567 said:

yes and no. you'll still need to probaly get exhaust work done to mate it with the down pipe, block off water ports for the twins (make sure they don't leak!!!) but you don't want to be punching it unless you have atleast a wideband and supporting fuel mods for this single set. the big single will flow differently (obivously) than the stock twins.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If the 1j (or 2j) you get comes with an auto trans, pull the bellhousing from that one, and put it on your trans. ;)

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Well it looks like I will be sticking with the stock turbos for a little while, I'll need to sell the other engine and my '87 to finance any other upgrades. On the bright side though, I found my 1JZ. From the looks of it it's a really clean engine frome JEI (anybody heard of them?) I won't really know more until I get it to the shop and look it over, but I'm optimistic. I've also decided instead of replacing my rear calipers (so badly rusted that they don't even touch the rotor) with stock ones, I'm gonna do the evo BBK upgrade, it will cost almost the same in the end and I'll have a good start to my upgraded brake system

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
yhatzee89;1879543 said:
Lol yeah I don't need 600hp, my max would be 4-450hp. And you got it on the water/meth kit habanero.
i said the same thing.. now i have to have more.. once you get used to the power it starts feeling slow.. my advice is over build it.. buy more turbo than u want, more injector than u need. just piggy back it for now to make your 400 whp. and down the road.. plug in aem and a 2nd pump and go for it,

.............400 will not be enough bye this time next year you will be wanting more. boost is addicting........