New Shock Question

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
I just had my new Bilstien shocks delivered and when looking at the rear set i noticed that the flat portion of the top mount is in different places (facing different directions in relation to the bottom mounts) on both of them. Does anyone know if these can be turned with pliers or something without damaging them? If not is this to differentiate mounting side (although when i ordered i never spedified right and left)? Thanks for any input on this.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Which series Bilstein shock is it ? may post some photos I have the B8 IIRC.. the only thing I was worried about when I got them was the small mounts on the side as they were not opposite handed when they were assembled... Thought they were mean't to be handed but got proven wrong when I installed them. I used the factory top hats also, cleans up and painted.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
CyFi6;1892307 said:
The silver rod coming out of the top can be rotated, just insert the mount onto the top of it and turn it, don't put pliers on it.

Re-read your question sorry, don't mind my post above.

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Thanks CyFi6 ill try that. Just didn't want to try anything until i knew i wouldn't mess them up.

As for which Bilstien's they are the HD's. Only my front two have the piece that you are talking about Ryan. I was a bit worried about them since the tube is longer then the rears and the shaft (silver rod) is shorter. Furthermore, the paperwork i have from Bilstien says they are for a toyota soarer. As for Top Hats i purchased new MK4 ones as i am trying to figure out what is needed to put the Gixxer Drew suspension on a MK3.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Jay C;1892310 said:
Furthermore, the paperwork i have from Bilstien says they are for a toyota soarer. As for Top Hats i purchased new MK4 ones as i am trying to figure out what is needed to put the Gixxer Drew suspension on a MK3.

Funny because I had this happen too, I looked at them and they were all different here is what I saw.

One was a slightly lighter yellow,
Piston rod as your original post says, they were all different but I knew to turn them
At the top of the cylinder casing two were silver and two were black
One had a different part number to the other 3.

But I had them shipped from Germany through our local suspension people so assumed they were correct they installed fine.