New service: Supra embroidery patterns!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Some background: A while back, I designed and released the Mk2 & Mk3 Supra font sets. The idea at the time was to use these to build embroidery patterns for members to use on shirts, headrests, hats, etc.

The translation from font to embroidery file turned out to be more of a challenge than I expected, but nonetheless, it is now within my capabilities. :)

So, if you would like something embroidered:

• Find a local shop with a computer controlled embroidery machine. These are pretty common. Find out what type of machine they use, and what file format they want.
  • Decide what you want embroidered, take it in to the shop and work out a size that they can work with. You can't necessarily get edge to edge designs done, the machines need some space for the hoops, etc.
  • Post here or PM me with the lettering, file type, size (inches or cm), and color(s) you would like. I'll send you an embroidery file and a picture of what it should look like when it's finished.
  • Take the file and your item to your local shop and have them run it through the machine. You will, of course, have to pay the shop!
  • Profit. Actually, I'm kidding - I don't plan to charge for these, unless demand far outstrips what I expect. It would be awfully nice if you would post pictures of your finished products, though.
I can post pictures of what the embroidery software thinks your design will look like, but as I don't have a computer controlled embroidery machine myself, I can't actually do the work for you, or show you actual results. (Well, except for my headrests, which are coming in shortly!)

PS: I'm not limited to the Supra fonts I designed, by any means. You can have an embroidery file for any TTF font you fancy. Theoretically, I could do any line art drawing too, although that would likely be a fair bit more work. For that matter, just about any picture *can* be done, however, regular photos are a *lot* more work, so unless I get a crapload of unexpected free time you'd have to bribe me pretty well.

Here's a picture of what is going on my headrests.

Attachments

• SupraEmbroidery.jpg
    SupraEmbroidery.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 119

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
You sir, are FTW!

I'll be in touch in the next few days, as I want to get 'SUPRA" embroidered on some of my daughters clothes and some floor mats too!

YAY!!!!!!!

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
When I get my seats re-upholstered, I always wanted to get SupraMania on the head rest. TY Grim! This summer is Rims and Upholstery

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Here's another example... this took me ~60 minutes to create, and I already have the basic artwork, so this was entirely editing. This is a pattern to put on a shirt, probably where a nametag would normally go.

Attachments

• Grimjack shirt embroidery.jpg
    Grimjack shirt embroidery.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 60

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
My wife got a BabyLock earlier this year with the embroidery option. I've got a list of projects a mile long - and she hasn't even taken the thing out of the box yet. :(

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
^^^, $$ for a set of head rest to get done.

EDIT: What about the "V" for my CTS-V also on the head rests.:naughty: pic attached The out side is silver/chrome

Attachments

• v-black.jpg
    v-black.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
suprabad;1123583 said:
Hey Grim: What pattern are you doing on your headrests?
The really basic one attached to post #1. I've thought about putting something really custom on there, like my forum name / avatar, but I'm going to stick to something generic in case I decide to sell these seats and recover another set.

92nsx;1123650 said:
^^^, $$ for a set of head rest to get done.

EDIT: What about the "V" for my CTS-V also on the head rests.:naughty: pic attached The out side is silver/chrome
$$$ is tough to estimate. Most of the shops that would do the actual embroidery work charge by the stitch, so the cost could change dramatically based on how complex your design was. Furthermore, costs vary by area. The best way to find out would be to get a design, take it to a local place and have them plug it into the machine, then they should be willing to give you an estimate.

As for your picture... I could turn that into a pattern, sure, but it would have to be simplified - these machines can't do chrome, of course. I could simulate the chrome, but I don't know how well that would turn out. Or I could drop it back to flat grey, that would be much easier. I'd also have to know how big you want it, etc, etc.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Silver/light gray thread could be used for the chrome.
Size? What ever size would look good on a head rest. I am guessing some where around 4" wide or so. The hard part I am guessing is the the 6 different colors that would be used.

Attachments

• d8b3_1.jpg
    d8b3_1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
You need to decide on a size - and you need to confirm with the shop you will use to produce the actual embroidery that they can do that size on the piece you give them. Then tell me the size, and what file type they require, and we go from there.

Here's a couple more designs I put together for shirts. :)

Attachments

• SM Shirt.jpg
    SM Shirt.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 17
  • GJShirt Abstract embroidery.jpg
    GJShirt Abstract embroidery.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 26

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
GrimJack;1122953 said:
Nope... she's a quilter, not an embroidery queen. My cousin, down in Portland, has a shiny Husqvarna unit though. She's the one doing my headrests.

lol

Lemme guess

The Husqvarna Diamond. That thing is a beauty! I looked at one and it is on my wish list. The bad part is the price of admission. Makes my MoTeC setup look like a deal ;)

btw on the Supra logo. Tell your friend to leverage the hidden seam feature of that Diamond ;)