New Rack and PS Pump, grinding noise. Help needed.

laconic

Apr 16, 2008
alabama
This has me stumped, so I'm looking for some insight. I have an 88 Supra turbo, so its non-PPS. It began with a leaking passenger side seal on the rack. From when I noticed this, a few days later the pressure line burst. So, I decided to replace it all since it was all factory. I bought a reman power steering pump and rack and pinion. I also got new rack bushings, the braided ps pressure line from driftmotion, and swapped out a couple of the old return lines that were looking pretty bad. Everything is hooked back up, and the pump makes a horrible grinding noise when trying to turn the wheel, and its hard to turn. I don't think its just air in the system because it does NOT get better. It seems like the more you turn it, the worse it gets. Now my question is, what is most likely to be wrong? I know it could be a bad pump right off the bat. Seems like that might be the obvious choice. There are no leaks. I've noticed though the driftmotion ps line, that when you connect it to the rack then go to connect it to the pump the fitting on the line faces 45 degrees away, and you have to turn the line to make it fit. Could it be getting pinched? It does look flexed. Is this normal for anyone that has used the dm hose? I'm pretty sure I've hooked up the hoses correctly. The return line goes from the rack, to a metal line that loops back around to a rubber line again that goes on the far left to the oil cooler, then back out from the oil cooler to the ps pump reservoir. Big line goes from the reservoir to the pump. There is fluid when you disconnect the pressure line on either side. With it running, turning the wheel you can feel the fluid in the smaller lines on the rack, though there are lots of vibrations. There is fluid if you disconnect the return line from the rack, and on either side of the cooler. The res does show a few bubbles that go away to swirls with it running. So to me it seems like its circulating? Maybe its just not enough pressure from the ps pump, or not enough pressure from the line being flexed? Is it something else I don't see? Both the Rack and the Pump have to be special ordered from a1cardone, so I don't want to get new ones coming until I'm sure.

Oh, and also the idle up switch on the back of the power steering pump. Could that have anything to do with it? If the lines were mixed up would it cause this? Giving it some gas does make it easier to turn, but its still stiff and the pump makes a horrible loud noise at that point.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Are the high pressures and return hooked up correct on the rack?

besides that its either air or bad pump.

When doing that kind of job usually need to bleed the system by turning lock to lock many times. usually for rack replacement the wheels off the ground and for pump wheels on the ground.

laconic

Apr 16, 2008
alabama
I believe they are. The return is the further one back slightly to the left and the pressure line is the closer one forward, correct? I was told by a guy I work with just now that I should of been trying to do it with the wheels off the ground, to bleed the rack. Hopefully that is my only problem and I haven't messed up my pump and/or the rack. So bleed it with the wheels off the ground, then set it down and do it again with the wheels on the ground?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yeah off the ground first and then on the ground. lock to lock and then hold at each side lock for like 3 sec.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Possibility of the pump being a defective unit but make sure you give it some times for the fluid to get to the whole system. Have you driven it or let it idle for a good amount of time since the initial start up? Bleeding the system like hvyman said would definitely help.

laconic

Apr 16, 2008
alabama
Well, I bled the system with the wheels up in the air. I spent a good 30 minutes. First with the car off, easy turning. Then with the car on, just a little noise when I reached the stop. I checked underneath to make sure there were no visible leaks, and the rack bellow boots have been sucked in. Does that mean the seals on the rack are sucking in air/bad? Sitting it back down on the ground, and any movement of the wheel at all gives you a horrible grinding noise, and you can't turn the wheel without excessive force, there is no power assist. I also noticed a tiny drop of dexron on the pressure fitting on the rack. Its tightened all the way though. I guess that driftmotion line could be sucking in air if its leaking? I don't know if I really like it, honestly. But I hate to be out 65 bucks. I'm almost at the point of starting all over.