New Project

RedGT

Aug 18, 2006
Baltimore, MD
HI. This is my first post on this forum.
After wanting to get a supra for quite some time I came across 2 different supras really cheap

87 Targa N/A 5speed Maroon exterior/Maroon interior
*Free*
Car is pretty rough and has been sitting for 5 years under a car port
Engine is out and the old owner was going to N/A-T the car. It already has turbo, Manifold and ECU from turbo car in the trunk.

88 hardtop N/A Auto Red exterior/Grey interior
*$700*
Car is in really good condition except for a crushed right front fender and the engine has no head

I Have some money burning a hole in my pocket right now so I want to buy a 7MGTE freshen up the engine and build one of the cars. I really Like the targa and 5speed but the car is butt ugly and has that nasty maroon interior.

I am thinking of rebuilding the maroon car and swaping interiors, or building the red car and swaping the 5speed over.

If anyone has any opinions or suggestions they would be much appreciated.
Also Where should I purchace a 7MGTE from? There are so many companies that sell JDM engines and the prices for engines range from $890-$1500 I was thinking about ordering from Tigerjapanese.com anyone have experience with them? Thanks.

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
take the free car,buy the other car and if the car is a nice as you said it was than put your money on making it a good reliable car.Than get a swap.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
I'd look for a decent turbo car. It's a bit of a hassle to do the n/a-t conversion. Not to say lots of members haven't done it successfully, but it's just more work. If you can find a decent GTE with a blown engine, you could spend the $1500 building that and the rest is already there... like ecu, tranny, electronics, just to name a few. These cars can become money pits in a hurry, but once they're done, it's good. gl.