New Owner

JERX88

MKIII OWNER
Oct 24, 2008
Cedarburg, WI
Hello,
Yesterday I traded my 1995 celica for my very first Supra. It is a 1987 turbo. I live in southeast wisconsin and plan to be quite active on the forums. I figured I would just introduce myself and let you all know if feels great to finally own my first supra. Hopefully It will remain with me for a long time, as the engine and body have only 75,000 original miles on it.

Thank you

JERX88

MKIII OWNER
Oct 24, 2008
Cedarburg, WI
I thought it was a pretty good deal, I originally had no intentions of getting a supra, was looking for an 88 All Trac, but figured this was one not to pass up. Especially since once I got in, I was hooked on the car, I stare at it through the window everyday at school, probably isnt helping my grades though.

I will get some pictures on here soon...

One question though,
since I am new to the car and no to turbos alltogether, I am wondering if the turbo should spool up in first gear. As of late, and I guess I havent really noticed it before as I havent owned the car for that long, the PSI gauge doesnt seem to move at all in first gear... I only start to see it around late second gear and third. I havent really tried to get to super high RPM, because if there is a problem I dont want to make it any worse, but if someone could shed some insight on this, it would be very helpfrul,

Thank you

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Pretty sure that turbo spool depends on load. Bet if you floor it in first you would have no problem spooling.

Welcome to the site.

JERX88

MKIII OWNER
Oct 24, 2008
Cedarburg, WI
pgiller;1174158 said:
Mine while driving normal the turbo usually spools at 2700-2800 rpm.

Yeah, I dont know whats up then, I guess it could verywell be spooling up and I couldnt hear it, but I know that it isnt showing on the boost gauge, as it sat at -4, and I was around 4k...

hopefully it isnt to big of a problem, but I am having my mechanic check it out soon so we can catch any potential problems before they happen.

heavydrifter

Mar 5, 2008
St. louis
do you have the stock airbox on there?

Probably just need a new boost guage. Mine wasn't working either then I swapped guage clusters and it worked fine.

JERX88

MKIII OWNER
Oct 24, 2008
Cedarburg, WI
heavydrifter;1174174 said:
do you have the stock airbox on there?

Probably just need a new boost guage. Mine wasn't working either then I swapped guage clusters and it worked fine.

Thats funny, because I just went out for a drive, as it looks like we are going to get some snow today... which really sucks, cause that means byebye supra, but I did thought the same thing, I am just not getting enough air flow, because I do have the stock airbox, and actually the entire car is stock. Havent decieded if it is going to stay like that or not, but I think everything is fine, just not enough air...