New owner of 92 Supra

marks332

Mar 12, 2012
Yorktown, VA
Hi All,

Glad to be part of this. I've had my 1992 Supra 5-spd for about a month and love it. Going to have to replace the tranny (or rebuilt) but other than that its in good shape. Are there any particular characteristics I should know about this car? I like working on cars but have limited experience, hope to gain some great insight here.

Mark

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Welcome!

1992's are the rarest MKIII Supra around, and we have a user group on here for us.

Is your car a turbo or NA? It should be noted that either way, if you haven't had a blown head gasket, you probably will soon, which can also lead to rod knock. Resurfacing the head and block, then installing a metal headgasket, along with ARP bolts is the only way to fix it.

Aside from that, if your car is targa (removable roof), look out for water leaking into the cabin when braking.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Welcome to the asylum. ;)

Of course we're going to want to see a few pics of the car, as well as some details... Just know this about these cars:

-They can be finicky
-They're all over 20 years old at this point, and a lot of rubber may need replacing
-Previous owners (especially if you're the third or later owner) don't always do maintenance
-Dedication and a fair bit of money may be required depending on what you want from your car.

All that said, see that "living with a Supra" link in my signature? Click that, LOTS of good advice in there. :)

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Invitation to the 1992 owners group sent! Welcome to the mania.

Short of doing a metal head gasket job, at least retorque your head bolts to 70 ft-lb until you need to pull the head.

DON"T fall to the pressure of turboing your 92, keep it original. If you want to go turbo, get another MKIII and turbo it if you have to. They only made 1193 of the 92's.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
gurley0916;1825693 said:
nope i did to we can be special together

ForcedTorque;1825750 said:
you guys suck......Just sayin
Trust me, Dustin has made that car better in every way so far. Auto -> Manual, 7m -> 2j, twins -> single BB turbo... This guy approves. :)

marks332

Mar 12, 2012
Yorktown, VA
aha yeah sorry, 1JZ is on its way haha. if the 7m-ge was a little quicker i wouldn't have a problem with keeping it original but dude. its heartbreaking to get beat by everything with my supra!! seriously! they have a such a high expectation. its embarrassing to say you have a supra if its as slow as the GE's are.....sad but true... i respect the orinigal part. but only if its your weekend drive to show off but thats not me. i want it to drive it and enjoy it. that's my only argument. plus the rpm's are terrible on them. you only get like 600 after you shift. barely any power band what-so-ever..