new oil cooling plumbing concept

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
so im going big single turbo and my intended turbo is going to be only oil cooled so i need to replace stock oil cooler setup for reliability and so i can be more informative of the cooling conditions. ive read the thread on the oil relocate and the earl's temperature activated valve thingy, but i really wouldnt trust that. so many things could go wrong and harder to diagnose where the problem is. but i had this brand new electronic valve actuator (EVA) i got from work, and im thinking it might work. its got 1/2'' npt threads and meant to automatically trip the fire sprinkler system. if i through some an fitting on that i could make a really cool set-up.
p1662755_1.png

check valve #1 is a spring version, you need about 5psi at one end to pass through in only one direction. check valve #2 has a clapper so it needs hardly any psi to pass through making it have less restriction than check valve #1. so when EVA is closed oil is flowing through check valve #1 and when EVA is open oil will go through the path with less restriction (check valve #2). so this drawing makes perfect sense to me. but please point out a flaw.

my idea is that when i go start up car cold, ill keep EVA closed via electronic switch inside cabin until my oil temp gauge with red light warning will indicate oil is getting hot and i'll open the EVA to cool oil. the oil press. sensor is to monitor if my oil press. dropped and shut it down asap in case my setup goes wrong.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
So basically you have to manually let the oil go through the cooler via switch. You dont always want oil going through the cooler

A t stat is something that works.

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
yeah thats what im trying to avoid. as a sprinkler fitter i learned that NOTHING works automatic. and i neglected too many things to see them brake or melt. so id rather "flick a switch" at the begging and end of a ride to have more peace of mind.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya but if you flip the switch when oil temps are up then you always have oil going through the cooler possibly cooling the oil down too much and causing problems. Cold oil on hot metal you see?

With the t stat its just like coolant, the oil reaches a certian desired temp, opens cools, closes, repeat. Its a mechanically smart way to go about things. There is no wires and you can moniter the temps. If something about the temps is out of order then your stat is bad or you have bigger problems.

Also is that actuator normally seeing temps of 160*+?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Save yourself the hassle and if you are that worried get an electronically controlled T-stat, something MEANT to control flow and temperature automatically. You can't always keep your eye on an oil temp gauge, and if you can, well I'd start worrying about other things like your own safety.

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I was expecting your reply 1j. I guess it has too many t's and check valves. But I gotta try this out on a bench with water. It's kinda exciting to me! Lol

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Try it with boiling water continuously going. See how the parts hold up.

Theres no 1 in his name either lol.

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
hvyman;1662789 said:
Try it with boiling water continuously going. See how the parts hold up.

Theres no 1 in his name either lol.

oh... yeah i knew that lol

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

hvyman;1662764 said:
Ya but if you flip the switch when oil temps are up then you always have oil going through the cooler possibly cooling the oil down too much and causing problems. Cold oil on hot metal you see?

With the t stat its just like coolant, the oil reaches a certian desired temp, opens cools, closes, repeat. Its a mechanically smart way to go about things. There is no wires and you can moniter the temps. If something about the temps is out of order then your stat is bad or you have bigger problems.

Also is that actuator normally seeing temps of 160*+?

yeah but i just realized something, doesnt the stock oil cooler setup work off of oil pressure? like around 2000 rpm it goes to cooler? so then right from the toyota factory the oil was getting too cold on highway runs right?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No its at like 40psi or something.. You would be in the upper rpms and no where near 2k rpms. Stock cooler sucks anyway.

You have a thoughtful design but a mechy t stat will do the samething cheaper, cleaner, easier, and prolly better.