New Napa Platinum synthetic oil filters

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
mecevans;1821971 said:
I just used my infrared gun at the pan, filter mount, and lines after a hard run. Next oc ill install the cooler.

That will give you a good approximation - your oil temps are likely a bit higher though ;)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I'm curious what's the deal with the fram xg filters. Everyone says they'd rather use that give the price yet it's still higher than pureone?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
hvyman;1822044 said:
I'm curious what's the deal with the fram xg filters. Everyone says they'd rather use that give the price yet it's still higher than pureone?

Not too sure myself :dunno:
Of the Fram filters, the XG (Extra Guard) is probably the best of the line - actually a middle of the road filter, but still constructed cheap. The PureOne far out classes it - along with Wix, K&N, Mobile One, etc...

Oct 4, 2011
PA
jdub;1821708 said:
Actually, that is backwards: Increase in flow falls as pressure rises - that occurs at a specific point, depending on the fluid. Using the supercharger example, it occurs at critical mach (velocity) for air at a specific density. Up to that point flow will increase with little pressure increase - after critical mach, pressure increases exponentially with much smaller increases in flow. You might want to review Fluid Dynamics 101 before you debate me on that subject ;)

Oil is a much denser fluid and behaves differently than air since liquids have no real compression factor. Hence, any resistance to flow will have an immediate/direct impact on pressure and flow is much more limited by pump capacity/pipe size. You need to pay attention where the pressure sensor is placed before you make statements about flow...i.e increase in pressure is caused by resistance downstream of the sensor. The facts on the 7M oil system:
- Oil path is directly from the pump to the filter. Then from the filter to the main oil channel.
- There is a relief valve incorporated on the pump and there is a bypass valve in the filter. Both are there as safety measures to prevent over pressurization of the system or if the filter media is blocked.
- If the filter has more resistance, the pump relief valve can actuate and will dump oil directly to the pan. If there is less resistance at the filter, there will be increased flow to the main oil channel along the block - there will be increased flow to the turbo as well.
- Resistance to flow at the oil channel is determined by by the bearings and the oil squirters. If there is increased flow to the oil channel (caused by less resistance at the filter), you will see a slight increase in pressure (at the sensor) due to the bearing/squirter resistance downstream.

This is what the oil pressure sensor is seeing. You do not have an oil pressure sensor pre-filter, so you cannot determine if the filter is showing more resistance or not. In addition, synthetic media in an oil filter is by its nature/properties is less resistance to flow than cellulose (paper). As a result, synthetic media tends to be less efficient at first in removing particles - it depends on it's density. This changes fairly quickly as synthetic media "loads up" with particles - it becomes as efficient or better than cellulose. The big advantage synthetic media has is capacity - it will hold 2-3 times the particles before blocking up and causing the filter to go into bypass.

jdub;1821710 said:
As long as they are applied correctly ;)

You're getting it now ;)
Making for a smoother flow will drop pressure, but improve flow.

Great points. Btw this is only my 2nd 7m engine build. Have built hundreds of honda engines. That was my scene for more than a decade. So I'm still learning about the toyota engines and they are different, Better in some aspect and worst in other but overall they are better. The oiling system on hondas are extremely flawed with all the casting flashing sharp edges and corners. Just terrible at points. I havent really notice much of that with the 7m though. Just the goofy bent pipe that goes from the oil pump to the block and the pressure based oil cooler. Everything else is nice. Jdub I now see why you are the Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Filtration :) Great discussions.

AFQC

What was that noise?
Mar 30, 2008
Vancouver WA
Installed one of these today, seems like a pretty solid unit. Oil pressure seems to be the same. I have used the Pure One filter (PL10241) previously based on good info here but last year the local parts store ditched the Purolator line. On the last change I went with a Wix 51068 filter and ran it for the last 7k with 5w30 Penzoil Platinum. The Wix filter I pulled out today is a good third bigger than the Napa Platinum which leads me to wonder- is a smaller area of synthetic media is better than a larger area of conventional media?

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
how are those new bosch distance plus oil filters compared to the napa, wix and purelator oil filters?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
BrandonW;1862312 said:
how are those new bosch distance plus oil filters compared to the napa, wix and purelator oil filters?

Bosch filters are on par with Fram...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
te72;1862504 said:
So, "good news, it's a suppository!" quality then?

Pretty much along those lines ;)
It's probably the best Bosh has to offer...much like a Fram Extra Guard. That's not saying a whole lot, quality wise...