New Motor Break In / Code Error 51

supra_89_vang

Dec 29, 2005
madison
I just put in a new rebuilt motor & head, new exhuast manifold, wastegate, and turbo on my 89 MK3. I am having some problem starting it up. When I started it up yesterday, it idled real bad and white smoke and oil comeout of the turbo. The down pipe is not fully connected to the exhaust yet that's why I can see the oil from the turbo. Also the car only idles for less than 10 seconds before it chokes and dies. The car doesn't responds when I step on the gas pedal to give it more gas.

Is it normal to have some oil come through the turbo when starting up from a newly rebuilt motor because the piston rings are fully sealed? Will a compression test be accurate at this point?

I believe that the ruff idleing could be caused due to incorrect timing of the cam position sensor.

When I did the code test, I got the code 51. I check the TPS for resistance and it tested good. I did remove the A/C compressor so I might because of that.

Any help would be great.

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Is the turbo blown? I know my ctock CT was (is) and i was getting some smoke for a few hundred miles. The fact that you put new rings in it is probably what most of that smoking is if the turbo is good. Check ignintion timing for the crappy idle?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
For the start problem...make sure the AFM is hooked up correctly and all the turbo/IC/3000 pipe/TB hoses are secure (no cracks).

Check to see if your AC button is depressed...it will always throw a code 51 if it is, even if the rest of the AC is removed.

supra_89_vang

Dec 29, 2005
madison
The turbo is new and the oil shouldn't be from the turbo. I think it is from the new rings and piston installed.

Yes, I adjusted the TPS according to the TSRM. I also checked th e AFM according to the TSRM.

supra_89_vang

Dec 29, 2005
madison
Over the weekend, I adjusted my ignition timing and the car idels much better except for that it is ideling at about 2000 rpm. Still oil and white smoke are coming from turbo. Could a vaccum leak cause high ideling?

Back to another problem I have. I check the A/C button and it is off but I still get the error code 51. When the car idels and I step on the gas pedal to rev it, the car chokes and rpm drops. If I give it too much gas, engine completely chokes and dies. Could this be cause due to a bad TPS? Could this be cause due to a bad AFM? I just order a new TPS from Toyota and will test soon. Any thoughts on these issues?

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Like someone has already said before,

You need to spec out and calibrate your TPS. Even if you get a new one it will give a error code if not set correctly. (also your foot better not be touching the accelerator when you check for codes! That will also throw a 51)

And you cannot set timing properly with a code 51, the rpms must be at 650 with the jumper in the diag box

supra_89_vang

Dec 29, 2005
madison
Ok, I adjusted the TPS and code 51 is gone. My igition is jumping around from about 12-15 degrees. Is that normal?

Also I am still having problem when I step on the gas pedal. Even with a tiny movement of the gas pedal, the cars chokes. The rpm drops from 650 rpm to about 300 rpm. Even if the gas pedal is all the way down, the rpm is still 300 rpm choking. I get the code 31 which I know that it is AFM sensor but I have changed it out with 2 other AFMs. I check the resistance for all 3 AFM and they are within range. I purchase these AFM online so I am not for sure if these were in working condition. Any thoughs?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Are you positive there are no leaks in the accordion hose or IC piping?

For the Code 31, might be time to check the connector itself and harness wiring to the ECU.

supra_89_vang

Dec 29, 2005
madison
How do I check the connector hardness? What are the voltages I should be getting? What page in the TSRM does it have instructions to test the connector?