New MKIII Supra owner from Hudson Valley, NY

Gmelo30

Aug 7, 2012
Wappingers Falls, NY
Hello everyone, My name is George. This is my first Supra ever. My previous cars have been 3 DSM's, a 3000gt Sl, 03 Wrx, and a 05 Wrangler Rubicon.
The purchase of my supra was unexpected, back in Jan I purchased an 09 Civic to drive everyday for college/work, but soon I grew bored driving that car everyday, so I wanted a project car to work on. One day while on Ebay motors I typed in "turbo" into the search bar and the fifth listing from the top was a 1987 Toyota Supra Turbo that needed engine work.
I called the guy asking what was wrong and if he knew what happened his reply " Hey man, well I was driving it and it started knocking, I kept driving it to the garage to have them see what was wrong with it. They told me it needed a new engine." After hearing this I thought "Hey its going to be a project/fun car so why not." So I went up a 2.5 hour drive away (Oneonta, NY) with my father to go see my new "headache" haha. I went and met up with the guy and then we went to the garage, there she was 123k on her, the body looked pretty okay for a 25 year old car. So after my $500 purchase I brought it home and started a tear down to see and we pulled the oil pan to see what we expected a spun bearing. So after checking the gap on the crank my father and I thought lets just buy a new engine it will be easier. I thought about the typical 1jz or 2jz, but then decided that I want this car to have the 7m (could be a bad choice on my part but oh well) so after searching for a "good" jdm engine I found Dallas JDM Motors which had gotten good reviews on other forums. I called them up to see if they had a 7m they did but it was with an auto trans and I told the Ill take it without the trans they said no at first and then emailed me back saying that it could be arranged, sweet I had my engine on the way.
On the day my engine arrived it felt like christmas so I partially tore down the new engine and had it fitted with fresh gaskets. Shortly after we took the old engine and trans out and put the new engine back in with the trans and a fresh new exedy oem clutch. Gotta say that engine purrs like a kitty and sounds great.
For now that is where I am with it, I am looking for buying parts slowly first full turbo back, then intake and suspension. Also, I am looking for some 89+ exterior/interior goodies.
The only thing I have done to the exterior was wash it (of course) and the 89+ tails. Now I am looking for 89+ trim in dark blue to have the car as one color.

Well this is me and it will a pleasure to meet you all and if any of you are local to me let me know we could meet and talk supras or whatever :biggrinbo

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Nice to meet you! Welcome to the forum! I have a 3000gt as well! And two Supras and a turbo Probe ;)

Sent from my G2x using Tapatalk 2

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Welcome, George. I'm only 40 minutes north of you. Post some pics!