New member from the UK - 1G owner

Tom_D

Jan 27, 2009
UK
Hi SM members!

I'm a newb to the site but not to Supras :naughty: I've had a few MKIV's over last 4 years but a year ago I bought a MKIII and it's definitlely the car for me! :biglaugh:

I'd say what opened my eyes to the MKIII was being taken out in Duane's MKIII In Canada a few years ago, I'll assume he's on here? Hi dude if you are! :icon_bigg

Here's a pic of mine;

p1235870_1.jpg

p1235870_2.jpg

It's a 1GGTE so a 2.0 TT straight six and I do have a 1JZ that will eventually take it's place probably this year and I'd like to go single on it too once the 1JZ is built

This looks like a great site and I can't beleive it's taken me so long to find! I've been on SF for 5 years!lol!!!

CoopMK3

Who's the chick in my bed
Jan 12, 2009
Whiteland, Indiana
I too like the mark III over the mark IV just mainly body wise.. Don't get me wrong the 1j and the 2j are amazing... but they are better in a mark III... Ps welcome :D

Last edited:

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
Tom_D;1235870 said:
It's a 1GGTE so a 2.0 TT straight six and I do have a 1JZ that will eventually take it's place probably this year and I'd like to go single on it too once the 1JZ is built

Welcome to the forum, it's good to see a fellow 1G driver (even if only for a little while). I'm looking forward to following the build when you decide to swap in the 1JZ. I'm curious, what do you think of the 1G?

Tom_D

Jan 27, 2009
UK
cheers for the welcomes, :)

I love the 1G, but it might be all down to it's rarity and sound :love: lol!

but seriously, it pulls ok and with a few choice mods it would be pretty good, if there were more aftermarket parts available i'd probably rebuild this engine and not bother with the 1JZ conversion at all.

Are there any bolt on turbo kits for these do you know? and can I get forged rods/pistons??? I would in a way prefer to keep this engine in and go chasing big numbers as I prefer to tune cars from how they came from factory :)

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
Tom_D;1241146 said:
cheers for the welcomes, :)

I love the 1G, but it might be all down to it's rarity and sound :love: lol!

but seriously, it pulls ok and with a few choice mods it would be pretty good, if there were more aftermarket parts available i'd probably rebuild this engine and not bother with the 1JZ conversion at all.

Are there any bolt on turbo kits for these do you know? and can I get forged rods/pistons??? I would in a way prefer to keep this engine in and go chasing big numbers as I prefer to tune cars from how they came from factory :)
I am still learning my way around what's available for the 1G, but single-turbo conversions are not uncommon. I'm at work, but I have a couple links book-marked that I will send your way when I get home. Off the top of my head I can't remember whether he's australian or from the UK, but there is a fella running around out there with a 1G abusing something like 550ps at the wheels. I'll find that thread (it may be from another forum) and send you the link for that one as well.

As I understand it, 350ps is not an unreasonable goal without having to spend disgusting amounts of money, and you still get some decent reliability out of the motor. From what I've read about this guy, he claims the 1G is bullet-proof (like most Toyota motors) and will take a lot of abuse before giving up the ghost.

I've even seen dyno charts of a *supposedly* stock 1G that put 215ps to the wheels. Apprently Toyota tends to de-rate their ooutput on paper.

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
Tom_D;1241962 said:
Ash that would be great if you can find those links :)
Here you go Tom, it's a bit wordy, so I apologize if you fall asleep at the 'board. OK, here goes, you might wanna grab a beverage to keep you company...:beer:

*Note to the Admins: I apologize if this should be in another thread all on it's own...*

This link here contains a fairly comprehensive article on tuning the stock boost settings for the 1G. In short, it explains how to almost double your boost with the stock system, on stock parts. Obviously be warned that the turbos etc will be under much more abuse, and you will need to keep a weather eye on all you gauges. The article is written by Johnathan Walker of the Supra Club of New Zealand. BTW, I've read dyno charts from another site that claim almost 220ps - totally stock - @ 15 psi.
http://www.supras.org.nz/techinfo/johnathan_walker/default.htm

In his article Mr Walker mentions that the Bosch BOV is the way to go, and this kind gentleman - Phil Strong of the Supra Club of New Zealand - writes a great bit on how to install said BOV, complete with clear, colour pictures, legible diagrams and a concise how-to.
http://www.supras.org.nz/techinfo/phil_strong/ga70bov.htm

Now, this tuner I was telling you about is an Aussie fella with the tag 6Boost, and if it can be done to a 1G, he's probably done it. 550 is a number that gets thrown around a lot where his name is mentioned. 6Boost is also very diligent about posting his results and adventures for all the learn from. All of his experience is professional and race-verified. He resides at the Toymods forum, and if you have the patience to read thru a LOT of threads when you search his name, it's probably worth your time.

The 1G-GTE is a motor that garners a lot of argument. Many tuners swear by them, they're JZ strong, sound great, minimal mods for decent power, and rare to boot, etc. Then you read the other side of the page where other tuners can't be bothered, it's too much work for only 2 litres, parts are scarce and so on and so forth. In all honesty, I've only owned this car for a few weeks, and had never even heard of the motor before I bought the car.

On top of that, the 1G was never sold in North America, so finding parts is going to fun. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 1G Supra a grey import in the UK? The reason I ask, is that this thread from the Toy mods forum may interest you. I know this article is going to save my ass when it comes to buying parts from my local parts supplier (in a small town no less). Apparently, there are a lot of interchangeable parts between the 7M and the 1G, and even the 4A... This thread is titled "Toyota's Interchangeable Oddities". It's a lot of reading, but worth the time.
http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=208&highlight=6boost

Another car that came stock with the 1G-GTE is the Toyota Soarer, and there are a couple of Soarer forums out there with some good 1G builds, so definitely keep those in mind when doing your research.
http://soarercentral.com/cgi-bin/sc-forum/discus.cgi

Something I've learned about the 1G so far, is that you have to have broad horizons when doing your research, as there seems to be many places/forums with bits of tech. You will need to be willing to do a lot of reading, and take all these bits of tech and assemble your own compendium.

What I am doing along those lines is keeping a binder of notes, and every time I find something useful, I either write the link or print said tech. As I go I sort through it and pare it down, expand, supplement etc. My memory is not good enough to remember every site I visit. Hopefully by the time I have to address anything critical/obscure I will have some idea of where to start.

When I sat down to write this, I didn't have as much as I thought bookmarked, so I had to do some more research while writing this ( 2 hours later...:icon_razz). Sorry if all the reading put you to sleep, and I hope that this will be a good start for you.

At some point a I want to drop a 1JZ in, if for no other reason than for the experience, but I plan on enjoying this great little motor to the fullest. I am looking forward to following your 1JZ swap, but I'm excited about being able to compare notes with a fellow 1G owner.
Ash

Tom_D

Jan 27, 2009
UK
Thanks all that info Ash, it's a good read and I really appreicate your time on this :)

and yep mines an import, we only officially got the 7M here, the rest are imports and only a handful of 1G's made it over ;) I'd put money on mine being 1 of under 10 in the UK if not less than 5!

I think I'll see how far I can go with this engine till it blows I guess :D it would be nice to break 300bhp on stock turbo's.

I know that I read before that the turbo's have steel blades and some guys in OZ have ran upto 17psi quite safely :) so it may be possible, just might need a set of cams too and running a piggy back ecu

Not sure if you saw it but I put a vid of mine up in the vid section ;)

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
Tom_D;1242052 said:
Thanks all that info Ash, it's a good read and I really appreicate your time on this :)

and yep mines an import, we only officially got the 7M here, the rest are imports and only a handful of 1G's made it over ;) I'd put money on mine being 1 of under 10 in the UK if not less than 5!

I think I'll see how far I can go with this engine till it blows I guess :D it would be nice to break 300bhp on stock turbo's.

I know that I read before that the turbo's have steel blades and some guys in OZ have ran upto 17psi quite safely :) so it may be possible, just might need a set of cams too and running a piggy back ecu

Not sure if you saw it but I put a vid of mine up in the vid section ;)
There's something to be said for rarity, huh? I don't know how many 1G's have made it into Canada, but it's definitely a low number, especially because we only got the 7M, too.

I haven't been to the vid section yet, but I plan on checking it out tonight, and I'll see yours there.

I agree with your sentiment about seeing how far the 1G goes before it blows up. As long as I can keep my wife from keeping me out of trouble, I want to see what I can do with a fairly stock set-up and a little clever tuning.

By the way, have you considered water/meth injection? From what I understand, you can achieve some decent gains for little money, (AEM makes a kit that includes everything you need for $400 (ish) USD. All you need is a tunable ECU. Heck, if you buy the right mixture, you can even run straight washer fluid thru these systems. In addition to more aggresive tuning, water/meth will *apparently* clean out the cylinders, cool the intake charge and help to prolong the life your motor. To boot, I'm told that a 1 gallon tank will last roughly 400 miles with spirited street driving. Considering that it has the same benefits as 100 octane petrol, it's almost like petrol is affordable again!

Here's the link to the water/meth page on AEM's website.
http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=120