New member from Australia. 1988 Turbo A

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
Hey guys my name is Tom, I'm a 21yr old male living in Queensland Australia. For some time Ive been trawling through the various supra forums for sometime reading for info and to decide what car i might like to buy (mk3 supra of course :p) and decided that i should sign up at supra mania, as it has been the best source of mk3 info in my travels.
Early this year (2009) I started working full time as a psychiatric nurse since finishing my degree in late 2008. With the extra income i could afford the rare and elusive Turbo A variant of the mk3 supra that i had been salivating over during my student years. Surprisingly i found a fine example for a good price in Sydney which is over 900km from where i live. A good friend of mine and I decided to make a road trip in my trusty RA-65 Celica to pick up the turbo A. And then he and I could "super Toyota team special stage" our way home along all the winding highways that would make up the journey back to my city called Toowoomba. The seller was knowledgeable enough and I was happy that the car was a genuine Turbo A from the example pictures on the ad etc.
The trip to Sydney was excellent Having rebuilt the 22r-e engine in the Celica about 30,000km ago, my proud little RA-65 could prove its worth. traveling at highway speeds of 140kmph for extended periods of time all the way to Sydney with little break.
The Turbo A upon inspection was in good condition. all body panels are free of dents and warps. although the paint was fading on the roof and it looked like someone had glued a number plate on the front bumper at some stage and had torn paint off when being removed. The 7m-gteu was impressive. and sounded like god humming Metallica One in an empty pool hall (that's a good thing). The seller of the car worked at Lexus in Sydney and was selling due to having a company car. He told me that the car had been imported by TRD in the late 80's and it was used as a pace car. The second owner was a guy who worked in parts at Toyota who bought the car off TRD after finding it sitting at the TRD warehouse unused. The 2nd owned rebuild the engine (about 2004) and did many upgrades, ill go into detail when i get around to doing a buildup thread. This 2nd owner was going to enter the turbo a into the targa Tasmania road rally but never did and instead sold it to the 3rd and current owner who worked with him at Toyota. Stated power output was 355rwhp @ 15psi.
All this story seemed fine to me. Truth or otherwise i still wanted the car as i was planning to do rebuild for forged internals etc so it didn't have to be in awesome internal condition. I did basic checks, paid for the car and got a bite to eat. and then Graham and i began the long journey home.
The car drove like a dream. solid gruff idle. strong button clutch. ridiculous acceleration. not too laggy. This was a good day.
200km into return journey. DISASTER!!! slowing down from a medium pull through 4th gear i heard the worst noise that any car enthusiast could hope to hear...... the unmistakable death orchestra of rod knock, ohh fuuuuuuuu%*#$@!! I thought to myself flashing my road trip buddy in the Celica with the high beams to signal something was wrong. Upon inspection of fluids it shows that the engine had consumed all of its oil!!! (later found to be caused by lifting head gasket and or / blown seals in turbo). Thus began the long hours of calling tow trucks waiting and driving without sleep until we made the next 350km to Tamworth where i could get some z's at a mates house. Lesson learned, tow trucks cost a lot of cash. there goes the new paint job. The next day consisted of sleep and then a rescue from my old man with rented Ute and car float for the last half of the journey home. Good old dad.
So that was tragic. Upon tear down on the engine it was found that bearing in number five has spun on top of itself.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

really messy.
Also the crank was worthless from being warped during bearing failure. but nothing that couldn't be replaced rebuilt. Since then i have been going through the long process of sourcing parts and getting engineering work done and then rebuilding (with a 2nd engine failure 40km into wear in, caused by jammed oil pump relief valve causing starvation at idle) forcing a 2nd rebuild mid year. Currently the car is in turbo shop having custom manifold and dump made up for my shiny new garrett gt3540r turbo. Fingers crossed...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Perpetual state of my car since purchase

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Poor neglected jelous Red dragon left out in cold :p

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Completed bottom end. (1st rebuild)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

1mm oversize stainless steel valves. big ass springs and titanium retainers from Brian Crower. Got valve train?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Something missing? note oil filter relocation, awesome braided lines and pink Exeddy semi cushion button clutch.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

In process of 2nd rebuild. turbo just sitting there. this is that stage where it looks good before all the ugly bits have to go on :p

sm_photo_missing.jpg

This is just before it went off the the turbo shop where it is currently for manifold and dump fabrication.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Work equips on 255 rubber :)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Baby got back

This is a url to my photo bucket. these pictures are mostly of tear down and first rebuild. i haven't posted more recent ones but hope to do so doon.
http://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss228/Heafalore/

Thanks tons for the awesome forum guys i hope i can share my experience with all this to contribute back to the group that has given me so much.

ps- i somehow managed to spell beefy wrong in my name.... is there any way to change that?

Last edited:

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Wecome! Always great to see another Aussie over here :)

Who did you buy the car from in Syd?

(I used to be on the committee of the NSW Supra Club, so may know the previous owner)

Car looks great btw!!!!!!!

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
Thanks tons. Im starting to get excited it should all be complete around Christmas or early jan. umm i bought it off a Russell. M who works for lexus in Sydney, probably central not too sure . I forget the name of the second owner who works in parts though. Like your signature suggests i am also aiming for the 500rwhp mark. I have no idea what to expect from it after all the upgrades, should be awesome though. Ill do a buildup thread tomorrow afternoon if I'm not too tired after work so u can see what Ive done to it. Ill have to look at the build up thread for your 500hp mk3 to compare ideas. Thanks for welcome

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Click on the blue text in my sig for my build thread :)

It is very very long, so if I were you, I would skip towards the end ;)

Basically, most mods are in my sig, but the build is on hold at the moment and the parts are sitting in my dining room waiting for monies :)

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Hi mate and welcome to the best forum in the world.! I too have a turbo-a and live 2 hours from you (Kingaroy) ,so one day we'll have to catch up and get some photos of the two cars side by side. Hope your build goes well for you, any engine questions ask for IJ, he seriously knows his shit.!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
LilMissMkIII;1470084 said:
Click on the blue text in my sig for my build thread :)

It is very very long, so if I were you, I would skip towards the end ;)

Basically, most mods are in my sig, but the build is on hold at the moment and the parts are sitting in my dining room waiting for monies :)
Not all ;)

wiseco7mgt;1470265 said:
Hi mate and welcome to the best forum in the world.! I too have a turbo-a and live 2 hours from you (Kingaroy) ,so one day we'll have to catch up and get some photos of the two cars side by side. Hope your build goes well for you, any engine questions ask for IJ, he seriously knows his shit.!
Nah that guy's a Hack don't take anything he says seriously :: IJ. ::

Welcome to SM Beefy!

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
Awesome welcome guys. Yeah wiseco that sounds great id be up for that. Its cool there is someone else nearby with a turbo A. i mean there would prolly only be like 20 in aus... Max, do u know? Infact i have seen another in Toowoomba. owned by some middle aged guy, I'm pretty sure its fairly stock. Strange that there were only 500 made, most either cut up or crashed by now and there are 2 in city with pop of 200k and its a full import, strikes me as odd. I have to sleep for morning shift but i should be able to read thru that build thread tomorrow lil miss. And yeah IJ does have some awesome info posted around ;) I dont know if it was u or supracentral but i was reading the post about why stroking the 7m isn't an awesome idea and about how the reciprocating mass of a piston is so critical in piston selection. made me feel like a dumbass for just telling my engineer to source me some "forged pistons" but thats how we all learn eh (i ended up with .5mm oversize arias pistons btw) ive been meaning to check spec sheet to see how much they weigh.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Sounds great, have you started a build thread? It's a great way to share your ideas and also the older wiser guys can give input if they see an area in your build which may need attention and many times stop people from making silly mistakes. Have fun!

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Hello & welcome.

Fellow QLD'er here, I was in Toowoomba today actually. Cool car, fingers crossed for you that the 2nd build goes well :)