New member and first Supra(MKIII) - 7M-GTE/R154 resurrection

Lunarvirus

Feb 10, 2014
Florida
BS Story that isn't worth reading unless you care to know why I'm here now;So back on September 7th, 2013, I purchased my first Supra. Backing up the story a bit, I started out buying a POS Eclipse GS with a bent rod when I was about 16 and fixed that up and sold it and upgraded to a GST, which after 2 years I got sick of fixing it and sold that and purchased a 2003 Lexus IS300 5spd w/LSD that had 43k miles on it and it was totaled(clean title) ((Link to that rebuild thread - http://my.is/forums/f93/new-member-first-is300-463562/ )). That was Easter of 2013 as well. After getting that back on the road about 4 months later(my father does body work, so we did it together) I wanted a project car and would maybe spice up the Lexus later in life. But I was looking around and at first I wanted a Subaru Impreza, then I found a ragged out 1987 Toyota Supra Targa-top turbo that was manual(SCORE!). The asking price was 2500 which I knew was too high for the condition it was in(someone spray painted red & black all over the original beige interior). I of course rolled up to the guys house in my Toyota dealer uniform and he confronted me the problems of the car. After everything I ended up paying 1400.

He mentioned it ran like shit and it certainly did, was only running on 3cylinders, and that the flywheel was falling off, which it certainly was. Someone used grade-8 steel bolts to hold it in, and one of the heads off the bolt shattered off(was fun torching and drilling that on out). Later on discovered cylinders 5 & 6 were sharing compression and of course that meant bhg(GO FIGURE). So after fixing everything, I concluded a total of about $200 in parts to fix it to where I'm at now. I have a lot of plans, and my first is to get rid of this putrid 7m-gte and grab me a 1jz, as I already have the R154. The reason I want to go with a 1jz is because I would like to stick within factory limits(to an extent). The 2jz is too new for a MKIII, and I already own a Lexus that's equipped with a 2jz. So with that, I've been bullshitting for a little now, fiddling with this 7mgte, trying to work with this hopeless, molested wiring harness. soldered in a bunch of new connectors(except the afm, couldn't find one). And now it's pretty close to running correctly, except one of the million pieces of pipping likes to blow apart every once in a while and the thing bucks like a bull and back fires. Sounds like a horrible 2-step.

As for now, I will doing more & more research for 1jz swapping. Only things I really need to figure out is finding a cheap 2nd gen 1jz without the turbo recall ALSO without a transmission hanging off the back of it - impossible to find(that also comes with ignitor & wiring harness). Need to also figure out a ECU setup, whether try using the 7mgte just to get it running then switch to a stand alone? Or buy a M/T ecu for $1,000,000? Also need to figure out what to carry over from the 7m to the 1jz and research more about this way around fitting the wiring harness without cutting into it, I've been looking around for more info for whereabouts to drilling a hole in the firewall to the glove box area. Just mainly electrical shit, I know a lot about automotive electronics, but haven't had any experience in swaps.

Now for some pictures & videos! - don't have a whole lot

1237303_715439088472207_1143271146_o.jpg

1149735_715439091805540_1253440496_o.jpg

1454734_751053684910747_488149622_n.jpg

904362_751053698244079_822199286_o.jpg

[imghttps://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t31/1425257_760016527347796_592527688_o.jpg][/img]
1467454_760016524014463_290565712_n.jpg

[video=youtube_share;LmLD2jeuD7s]http://youtu.be/LmLD2jeuD7s[/video]
[video=youtube_share;J-drBwDJ5bY]http://youtu.be/J-drBwDJ5bY[/video]

Last edited:

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Welcome to the addiction!
Sounds like you and your car have been through the inevitable beginning part of Supra ownership. Now comes the fun part.
Take my advice on this, decide what you really want and build it once. It may take longer but you'll be a LOT happier with it and you'll actually save yourself money in the long run.

The for sale section here is a great place to find a lot of parts you'll need for your project. Anything you cant find there, check out our forum Vendors and they'll help you out.

Lunarvirus

Feb 10, 2014
Florida
kotu100;1989694 said:
Welcome to the addiction!
Sounds like you and your car have been through the inevitable beginning part of Supra ownership. Now comes the fun part.
Take my advice on this, decide what you really want and build it once. It may take longer but you'll be a LOT happier with it and you'll actually save yourself money in the long run.

The for sale section here is a great place to find a lot of parts you'll need for your project. Anything you cant find there, check out our forum Vendors and they'll help you out.

Yeah, it's been a bit of a ride, but I love to hear this thing run the way it should ALMOST run. Not a fan of comfort of shifting the R154 compared the my lexus' W58. Big differences.

Well, I'd love to do it all once, but my budget is low, I'm broke, only working 2 days a week, with a bi-weekly paycheck. Been saving up money to purchase the 1j. Once I have the engine, I will sell the 7m for what I believe it's worth and use the cash from that to put into finishing up the swap hopefully. I will wait until I go full time with working at Toyota and start funding more money into it.

And thanks for the recommendation, I will be surely lurkin' those boards.

speedy;1989705 said:
Cool story..any interior pics.. Why don't you just built the 7m..

Thanks, didn't think anyone would really read any of it. I will post those just below. And I don't know, I just don't like the platform. It was never meant to have a turbo on it. And looking at this 7m, it has had its share of molestation. I feel as investing in it would be worthless to me. I'd just rather have the 1jz because it's out of the factory stronger & faster. It may cost me more to do the swap than to rebuild the 7m right, but I've also been wanting to do something different than rebuilding motors. I've already rebuilt a couple. Never done a swap, and now that my knowledge has increased a fair amount(thanks to tech school), I want to take on a challenge(not blindly, obviously).

Here are the interior pics. When I took these, I was more focused on the beige spots rather than the overall interior.

aCTW19W.jpg

1ZLve9w.jpg

24xUyRG.jpg

SGOA1n3.jpg

HtjRAzv.jpg

UTI0Rhl.jpg

nsBiumG.jpg

1blQPaq.jpg

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
Good luck on your plans man. Looks like you're going to have a lot of fun with that interior later on though 0.0

Lunarvirus

Feb 10, 2014
Florida
speedy;1989741 said:
Okay cool.with the condition of your supra.do you really wanna go 1jz now or just wait and clean it up get some parts..
And I think your car sound real good..

Yeah, I'd still like to regardless its condition. The engine bay is a giant mess and looked like someone took a paint brush and wiped black paint on everything. So if I were to do the swap, I could clean every inch of the car completely up. It'll be a long process, but I feel it'll be worth it in the end. And thanks, I wish the power steering didn't whine so badly, though. It just has cold-start issues(cold start injector works fine). Though the ECT isn't pulling down the 5v ref.

maxburn;1989744 said:
Good luck on your plans man. Looks like you're going to have a lot of fun with that interior later on though 0.0

Thanks! Nah, the interior won't be so bad. I've had much worse. Lacquer thinner will be doing most of the job, but I'll just repaint everything with the correct materials. Thankfully my father does body work & painting for a living!