New (ish) supra owner from central california

supra_n00b

Jan 27, 2013
Turlock
Hey all,

My name is Matt and I,m currently from Turlock, Ca. I have had a few projects before this one, but no formal training in automotive mechanics besides high school. Ive previously owned a 75 280z that i regret trading for an na 87 rx7, and now this supra with 7mgte. I purchased my 87 supra from a buddy back in january. The car ran but smoked and wouldnt pass smog. Compression and leak down tests indicated that is was not a blown head gasket, so it mist have been burning oil. After tinkering with it for about 2 weeks and finding 3 stripped exhaust studs and some not so pretty looking pistons, I decided to just yank the engine and do a full stock rebuild. Thats where I am at now, I have the engine mostly back together with arp head bolts and am just waiting on a helicoil kit for the exhaust studs.

I will upload some pictures once I remember the password for my photobucket account. I do have one question though, the studs from the turbo to turbo elbow are pretty tore up and need replaced, does anyone know where I could oder them?

supra_n00b

Jan 27, 2013
Turlock
I managed to clean the studs up well enough to easily thread the nuts on them so no worries there. I got the exhaust studs helicoiled now, no real big pain as the motor isnt in the car or anything! I really cant see this car being more of a money pit than my rx7 was. After about a year of building it and $3k later and 3 "good" motors that ended up being blown, i've had my share of tossing away money and not driving. Haha. Im not looking for any crazy power, just something more fun than my honda with that 80s flaire. If it ends up being more than that then maybe down the road ill do a more serious 7m build or 2j swap. But for now id be happy with a turbo car with a little pep and some style to go with it.