New(ish) MKIII owner (possibly over excited) Help wit build

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
You should check out driftmotion.com. They sell an Act Street/Strip disc that holds well and is still very easy to drive. (I had a six puck that made everyone wonder if I'd never driven a manual before). If you couple that with a stage 2 pressure plate, you'll be fine. Plus aaron, of driftmotion, is awesome to work with and is a member here. As far as turbos, I think you would be very happy with a 57 trim ct26. They seem to be the most reliable, as I think dan commented on. And as radiod mentioned it's a good fit. A lot of guys use a manual boost controller with good results. I really like the aem tru boost myself.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Thanks for the pictures, it does clear some things up.

Yeah, I was thinking MAF-T Pro. What you have will still allow the use of larger injectors, and so will still remove the need for the Lexus AFM, but maybe you should hold on the the APEXi for more fuel trim control.

I do not like the "blow through" configuration. It's a bad idea for many reasons. The MAF should be on the intake before the turbo, and the BOV should be recirculated to after it in order to do this right.

For the mushroom air intake, I too would probably replace that. Those take a lot of work to maintain, and don't filter particularly well. Keep away from dusty conditions at the very least.

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
supranewbie;1897289 said:
You should check out driftmotion.com. They sell an Act Street/Strip disc that holds well and is still very easy to drive. (I had a six puck that made everyone wonder if I'd never driven a manual before). If you couple that with a stage 2 pressure plate, you'll be fine. Plus aaron, of driftmotion, is awesome to work with and is a member here. As far as turbos, I think you would be very happy with a 57 trim ct26. They seem to be the most reliable, as I think dan commented on. And as radiod mentioned it's a good fit. A lot of guys use a manual boost controller with good results. I really like the aem tru boost myself.

im actually using that combo clutch set. just installed it, have not tested it out yet. but everyone was telling me to get it as well. so i think ill be happy with it!
aslo im using it with the 57trim ct26!:D

ballenspirit

Nov 14, 2012
Atlanta, Ga Area
radiod- thanks for your comment... yea I seem to remember the guy telling me something about it... maft pro is the way to go then... I will likely pick that up with an upgraded fuel system things... yea he had a removable "silencer" on the exhaust lol.... I see you've owned a prelude and a celica how did they compare to your supra i'd be interested to know...

ballenspirit

Nov 14, 2012
Atlanta, Ga Area
7m4evr- The downpipe is separated but joins again near the end... There is a bolt near the end not sure what thats for Ill just take more pics...
Supranewbie- Ill look into those id like to get a replacement clutch for the future though holding 500+whp would the one you suggested work? I guess there are threads for that...
yea riding on the stock turbo is the answer for now.

Dan I need to research the blow thru system... The way the guy explained it he was convinced it was sufficient and reliable... I haven't done the research enough to know reading time!

Mushroom intake is gone as soon as i get the chance!

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
ballenspirit;1897320 said:
radiod- thanks for your comment... yea I seem to remember the guy telling me something about it... maft pro is the way to go then... I will likely pick that up with an upgraded fuel system things... yea he had a removable "silencer" on the exhaust lol.... I see you've owned a prelude and a celica how did they compare to your supra i'd be interested to know...

The Celica I had was a GT (so 1ZZ engine, 140hp stock) and the Prelude is my daily driver right now. The Celica wasn't incredibly quick, but handled nicely with the TRD suspension setup with a very smooth power curve (just enough to still have fun with :)). It responded handling wise very much like my buddy's S2000 only with significantly less power. Would compare to a CRX Si only a little bit faster. Felt a lot nicer going around corners than the Supra (mainly due to the weight difference), but the Supra was much more fun coming out of them and running straights.

The Prelude is also very a solid handler (it has Tein coilovers currently), definitely feels heavier than the Celica did but obviously still not as heavy as the Supra. I was suprsied VTEC still confuses me....I really want to make it engage lower where the power curves of the two profiles meet up rather than getting an instant 10 - 15 hp bump. On paper it's close, but still slower than what my Supra was in terms of speed.

Overall, I still love the Supra and prefer it over both. Unfortunately I needed to move to something more reliable for every day and to make that possible I needed to sell the Supra. Who knows, maybe one day I'll have the privilege of owning one again and I'd like nothing more than to be able to build one from the ground up. For now, I'm happy with what I've got (though still missing RWD :().

On other topics, make sure you look in to whichever clutch you plan on getting in detail before picking it up. Performance clutches can tend to give a very heavy pedal and bite hard, making the car a bit more annoying to drive on the street. The reason I ended up with an OE replacement clutch in my car is because I really didn't like how the Centerforce clutch felt like in traffic and most of the time I was driving and the OE was good enough to do what I wanted it to do. Just make sure you know what you're getting in to with a stronger aftermarket clutch ;)

ballenspirit

Nov 14, 2012
Atlanta, Ga Area
Hmmm yea, celicas are pretty quick... I lined up with a few domestics in my rsx and surprised alot of them... I just had a cai/full 2.5 hks exhaust with 3in muffler race headers with a hi-flow cat... also front and rear sway bars... it handled like no other... lowered 1.5in... I always wanted my supra over it however...

Yea I want a streetable clutch... being near atl traffic is huge problem... ill look into those options in the future...

For now I visited my friend... He has a ws6. He has recently bought new wheels, the wheels are universal bolt pattern they are 19's... ok i know bigger many ppl put on their supras... eventually wanna go 17s... but he's only looking for $200 they looked pretty nice on his car on 285/45... wondering if driving around on these for a yr is a good idea... just a fly-by idea?

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Find out how wide and what offset the wheels are. They sound pretty wide and won't likely fit without modifying fenders.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Allow me to chime in here:
MAFT in blow thru allows you to vent the Tial-type(not hks-type) BOV to the atmosphere, rather than suck-thru, which risks closed-throttle stalling issues.
The basic MAFT will allow you to pair any size injectors with the engine, rather than being restriced to 550's, like a Lexus combo requires.If your goals are ~300hp, you will be fine with the basic MAFT.
Some people will piggyback an Apexi into the Maft to add that finer tuning element, but it really isn't necessary. The MAFT is adjustable(fuel-wise) all across the rpm range. It doesn't have the point-by-point resolution of other units, but it'll interpolate those rpm points just fine.
The downpipe is indeed seperated, but as mentioned, would probably benefit from a small tab in between the two holes to further isolate the exhaust gases from one another.
The bolt in the lower section is there for a wideband O2 sensor. The exhaust setup is quite quiet with the silencer in place, due to it having a second muffler at midpoint.
The HKS filter element should indeed be replaced on a regular basis. The element in there is probably due for this now. Overall, you should be able to get about 260hp with just 8psi.
Expect about 290 around 12psi.

How do I know? Because those were my parts you bought, and that's what they got me.

Welcome to the forums.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
CT26 with lines and ALL new gaskets, composite HG, 3000 pipe, oem flywheel, front drilled rotors, stainless brake lines, non-cracked ex. manifold, and eventually, a head
and full shortblock with probe pistons. But i'm not willing to ship all this stuff, so it's just posted locally on C.L.

ballenspirit

Nov 14, 2012
Atlanta, Ga Area
:icon_bigg supraguy!!! this gets no better... Thanks for the parts again. Hey hows that block build going? I know when we talked I didnt even have an engine... Thanks for the welcome... Hopefully I should have the car back this weekend... After a short reintroduction around the block:evil2: a few times itll be time to work... Your supra back on the road?

Radiod- idk about the wheels now... It seems I could probably get a decent pair for less... seeing as I will want to buy tires also I will wanna go wider later when my budget isnt so restricted.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Hey man-
My build is going very slowly. I am making progress with the motor, though.
p1898946_1.jpg

It'll be quite awhile till it's on the road, though.
After I get the engine and tranny done, I have to completely redo the interior, sound system, a/c system, and then the body.
Prolly won't be finished till at least summer.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I sure hope that you're planning to put the lower timing cover on before bolting down that head...

And OT, but I don't see how any BOV could be vented to atmosphere after the MAF and not result in the over rich condition from venting metered air, whether it's blow through or not. Maybe if the blow-through was between the BOV and throttle body, but that seems to be immediately post-turbo, unless I'm completely misinterpreting which pipe goes where, which is of course possible.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Um, yes. I plan on putting the timing plate on before the head.
I uh, also plan on taking the tranny out before swapping the clutch... :)

As for the bov placement, you are totally correct. The bov is before the maf. In suckthru mode though, you'll have stalling issues when going off-boost, unless the bov is recirculated.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
For 300rwhp all you need is boost controller (12psi ish), intercooler, full true 3" exhaust. Fellow supra owner in the area has all this & dyno'd 301 rwhp. & he doesn't have hardpipes....
He's going to go Lex AFM & 550ccs soon. & I suggested him to go with hardpipes.. Wonder what he'll pull...

ballenspirit

Nov 14, 2012
Atlanta, Ga Area
supraguy: I will be subscribing to your build thread:icon_bigg... good stuff

D.J.T: yea those numbers seem easily attainable... jus need to break into the supra diy performance world for now!

update: well I think we are looking at christmas weekend be4 I have the supra... ill keep you guys updated!