new ignition cylinder

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
so my steering wheel is locked and my key wont turn at all. no matter how much i rock the car or wiggle the steering wheel back and forth, it still wont turn. so i bought a new cylinder n key, and i want to know how am i suppose to break the old ignition in order to get the cylinder out? i know i will have to break it since the key wont turn to the on position...any easy suggestions on how to break it?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You have to turn the steering wheel a little to one way. It only moves so far so you have to turn it just a little bit before it hits the other lock.

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
sorry im confused...the key doesn't turn at all no matter what. do you mean i have to turn the steering wheel a bit while breaking the ignition?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Not breaking. Its cause the wheel locked. You turn the wheel(it only moves like 1/4-1/2in and its hard to move) and turn the key. IOF the key is worn wiggling helps. Cant just yank the wheel back and forth and expect it to unlock the key.

It locks like that so you can break into the car and just push it away, every car does it as well.

I forgot how to get it out, but i think there is a lever in there somewhere that will allow you to just pull it out. Which the wheel should still be locked iirc.

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
i really don't think its cuz the wheel is locked. it used to give a hard time to turn even when the wheel wasnt locked in the past. the wheel being locked now is just a coincidence. but it always gave a hard time to turn and i think it just crapped out on me. i had multiple pple come and try to turn the key and no luck...anyway where is the lever you were talking about?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Have to take the plastics off. I dont really remember as i did it like a year ago to push a car i didnt have a key for.

IS the wheel locked? OR just cylinder. Like i said you wont be able to turn the key unless you move the wheel.

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
the cylinder and steering wheel are both locked. but the cylinder always gave problems turning even when the steering wheel wasnt locked. i would have to sit and play with it for 15 -20 min just to turn the key when the steering wheel wasnt locked. but now the steering wheel is locked and i tried to wiggle it and turn it while turning the key and still no luck. so i came to the conclusion that my ignition cylinder went bad and bought a used one..now im trying to figure out how i am gonna remove the broken cylinder on the car without getting the key to turn..ive been literally trying to turn this key for a whole entire week...i knw there have been cases when the ignition cylinders go bad and they seize. the only way to take it out is by breaking it if you cannot turn the key...

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
i was thinking a small flat head screwdriver and then hitting it inside the key hole with a hammer..watcha think?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Probably won't work, those things are pretty screwdriver resistant. You might break something else in the process too.

Are you sure the key isn't worn down or cut wrong or something? That happens... maybe the lock is ok? Not sure, but maybe you can order a new key pre-cut for your car from the dealer. I know you used to be able to do that, but I'm not sure if our cars are too old now or not.

Maybe some WD40 would loosen it up?

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
tried cutting a spare and still didn't work, tried WD40 and no luck. i just tried to drill it out and broke a drill bit inside :(..i guess i'm gonna have to go buy a slide hammer next

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The slide hammer is going to cause damage as it pulls the lock so you're probably going to end up replacing the column anyway, from memory that section is riveted on and can't be replaced on it's own...

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
we'll see. i'm going to autozone to pick up a slide hammer tomorrow. is there any screws that you have to take out when removing the cylinder? or is it just the tab on top that you have to press down to slide it out?