New here! Trouble with supra

Finger11

Nov 8, 2009
Kennewick
86.5 N/A automatic, no mods

Car is dying after it warms up. Stays idling and good in park and reverse, as soon as i give it gas or come to a stop the engine shuts off. If i pop it in neutral before i come to the stop it stays on. Crazy! Anyone know whats up or have had similar issues??

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
HEY...I too am in Kennewick!

Have you checked for codes?

You should post your problem in the tech section. It'll get more exposure there.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
My 89 Accord does the same thing but thats because the carb is shot and it has vacuum leaks out the but, lol. Maybe your throtle linkage needs adjusted.

77celi

Jan 5, 2008
Washington
Ok I have Finger11's Car at my house. Checked codes got code 11 cleared codes drove for around with it acting up and no codes. We have replaced spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter. I put on my cap and rotor (less than 500 miles) mass airflow sensor, cold air intake, and checked all vac lines, grounds under intake have been moved to frame. I tested the throttle position sensor tested good. I'm going to put my new one on tomorrow. This is really confusing me.:dunno:

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Check the IAC(in the EFI section of the tsrm, iirc). It's pretty easy to take apart and clean. Could also be the dashpot is restricted, and not catching the throttle correctly.

Might also run a fuel pressure test, both at idle and driving.

Do you hear any hissing around the injectors or any of the intake gaskets?

Possible it could be the torque converter is sticking in lock up? If it wasn't disengaging as you come to a stop it would kill the motor.

Need a better description of the symptoms. If it dies when you hit the gas, how can you drive it?

77celi

Jan 5, 2008
Washington
I found the problem last night. In the main engine wiring harness where it runs across the egr valve tube it was shorting out. On saturday we are going to cut open the harness and fix the wires that have been rubed through.
Thank you for all of your help with this issue.

Ryan