New Headgasket Opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
Just got off phone with them.

They just recieved an updated batch of the sealant that they use around the coolant passages, and once Ryan approves of the mixture he is going to drive down to Driftmotion and pick the motor up.

Development is happening, slowly. But at least its happening.

SupraStorm1080

IT'S A LIVE!!!
Apr 19, 2006
riverside, SO cal
Last i heard when i talked to aaron which was about a week and a half ago, the guys from SCE which were suppose to pick up the head and block from aaron never showed up so i don't even know if this is even happening anymore. Does anyone else know anything?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I called yesterday, they are almost ready to go, so they may come by on Monday to get the head and block.

This type of thing is ready when it's ready, if you are in a hurry you have many options available right now.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
Good thing I have plenty of time to wait, and I'm in no rush at all. Also, I don't see why we use copper spark plugs, and that's fine, while using a copper headgasket isn't.....

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
Our cars still don't see the power, temperatures, forces, strain (etc etc) that drag cars see...... (referring to the example mentioned a few pages back or so).

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Yeah...but most supra owners drive their cars on a daily basis and some for many hours which is alot different with drag cars.

Cheers,
Roy

Last edited:

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Jaguar_5 said:
Uhm, you don't want to replace your HG as often as you replace spark plugs...

The primary cause of wear on spark plugs is the 20,000 volts or more (much more for the 7M) arcing across the electrode of a spark plug. This can wear down soft material like copper very fast.

A copper head gasket doesn't have to deal with nearly the same conditions. So comparing the two on a basis of replacement is silly.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Dirgle said:
The primary cause of wear on spark plugs is the 20,000 volts or more (much more for the 7M) arcing across the electrode of a spark plug. This can wear down soft material like copper very fast.

A copper head gasket doesn't have to deal with nearly the same conditions. So comparing the two on a basis of replacement is silly.

I agree with you entirely!

Inygknok said:
[...] I don't see why we use copper spark plugs, and that's fine, while using a copper headgasket isn't.....

I was pretty much just saying that even if they were comparable, this logic is still flawed because Sparkplugs are a regular maintenance item, while a HG obviously shouldn't be

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
Jaguar_5 said:

I was pretty much just saying that even if they were comparable, this logic is still flawed because Sparkplugs are a regular maintenance item, while a HG obviously shouldn't be
I wasn't pointing out the obvious regular maintenance objective of spark plugs when I mentioned them, just the fact that they are made of copper and have to put up with everything Dirgle mentioned. That was it.

I'm just somewhat frustrated at the pessimism shown by some members. Skepticism and pessimism are 2 different concepts. Now, I'm not pointing any fingers or making any accusations, but whoever feels offended by this is probably guilty then (if the shoe fits.....).

Anyhow, if this has been used on other cars, then it means it is completely plausible to do. Yes, our 7M's are different engines to GM's and the such, but they are still 4 stroke engines. Our 7M's didn't come from Uranus (pun intended) nor were they made out of plastics. If it has been possible to use copper HG's in many other cars with success, then there is actually a chance that it'll work on ours. Sure, these won't be as strong as the steel ones, in terms of pure strength on their own. BUT, if they get the job done properly, and surely they will do a better job than stock units, then why not be at least somewhat positive? If not just neutral? Or maybe just a bit skeptical.....

But I don't see any reason for negativity.

"But our 7M's are different." Aren't all engines different? This is definately worth a try. If it doesn't work, then fine, it didn't. Although people will gloat, but w/e. Cheers to you for winning an argument over the net :biglaugh:

Ok, but back to being serious. Even SME Duane is fond of the idea..... I'm sure that counts for SOMETHING!

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Jaguar_5 said:

Ah gotcha! ;)

Just a minor miss in communication between the three of us. Cynicism and skepticism never seem to translate very well over the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.