new guy

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
hello im new to supramania.com and already looks like a helpful website! i need to know which engine is for the best performance and fuel economical at the same time. im getting ready to buy a supra and thought i would ask. i would like to buy a 87-92 turbo targa. must be manual! if theres any up for sale (in the midwest) i'd like to take a look at them. im in des moines, ia and seems like there arent any supras here it sucks. so your help would be appreciated.

HIGHSPEEDDIRT

something in the way
Nov 5, 2008
eat a bullet,AR
Well for starters,your not gonna get the best gas mileage out of these cars, with any of the engines you choose.Second, you should check out the for sale section to fnd you a car.Good luck and welcome to supramania.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
ive always wanted a supra and never had one so i dont really know as much as i probably should about the engines, i do body work but want to get into performance parts and more engine stuff. i want to get a supra with the most powerful and dependable engine it comes stock with in a 87-92 (dont know what year im getting yet) to upgrade without any swapping. so if you could help me decide what to look for thanks.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
HIGHSPEEDDIRT;1221287 said:
Well for starters,your not gonna get the best gas mileage out of these cars, with any of the engines you choose.Second, you should check out the for sale section to fnd you a car.Good luck and welcome to supramania.

Might want to rethink that statement.

I'm seeing around the 28USmpg combined here with a 470rwhp 7M.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
upgradedsupra;1221497 said:
lol IJ, I get good gas mileage too with my power. :)

ha damn well any of you know which is the better engine to get im not worried about gas mileage, that wasnt the question, i want fast!!!

HIGHSPEEDDIRT

something in the way
Nov 5, 2008
eat a bullet,AR
IJ and upgraded supra, you guys are right my fault, so disregard my previous statement. As for an engine, you will just have to read to find out what your willing to spend as they are all good engines in my book.So find out what engine is best for you, and good luck.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
You can make anything fast, it just depends what else you want from it. Go to the cars for sale section, you might find what you're looking for.

Welcome to the boards.

bigmacz28

BIGMAC
Jun 2, 2007
Tucson,AZ
:icon_bigg
The 87-92 turbo supra's only came STOCK with one engine and that would be the "7MGTE" In-line 6 cylinder. Anything else is a SWAP! Good luck with your search. To bad you don't live in AZ. I have 9[/U][/B] 87-92 supra's and some are for sell and some are for sell and are project cars ( no engines or tranny's for people wanting to do a 1JZ or 2JZ swap.

Joe Mac

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
*james*;1221499 said:
ha damn well any of you know which is the better engine to get im not worried about gas mileage, that wasnt the question, i want fast!!!

Welcome to Supramania James..........which is an awesome name since it's my given name as well. I go by Jay though. My wife is the only one that calls me that and that's only when I'm in trouble...........:biglaugh:

IJ, and Upgradedsupra both have 7mgte's in their car. IJ's car makes 470rwhp in Australia which equals to about 1900 here in the U.S. of A.

Duane's makes roughly 850rwhp. Both of them are on automatics and they're both die hard 7m fans. I have the 2jz block in mine and it pails in comparrison to theirs, but I love it. Since this is an introduction thread, you'll need to keep the technical questions to a minimum. Just about anything you need to know is posted in the technical section. Good luck and welcome.