New guy looking to swap a 1jz

19cturbo

Dec 14, 2012
Kingsport tn
I currently have a 1987 mitsubishi starion. I had built the motor in it but have since ran into some problems, looks like ive had a small block issue. haha! So after the ups and downs of my build ive decided its time to move on to bigger and better things. Im currently sourcing a 1jz/R154 swap to go into my starion. My plan is to leave it stock for time being and build it up a little over time and eventually swap over to a 2JZ. The 1j is just a fun stepping stone as i can buy it as a more complete swap for what i need and save a little money in the mean time. Anyway on to the good stuff. Here is my car, and a few pictures of what i had done to it.. ill also show you my block issue.. Cheers, Mike

p1900617_1.jpg

p1900617_2.jpg

here was the engine when i first got the car

p1900617_3.jpg

and here was what it was when i was finished

p1900617_4.jpg

And here is my block issue!

p1900617_5.jpg

19cturbo

Dec 14, 2012
Kingsport tn
89jdm7m;1900620 said:
welcome aboard... that block looks pretty rough.... you've definitely got your work cut out for you... :cool:

not afraid of a little work, i put tons of work into this car last time around and just keep hitting setback after setback.. I believe the 1jz is going to a much better power plant

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Neat car, didn't think there was enough room for a straight six under the hoods of those though. If you're going to go straight six, I'd go directly for the 2J since it will be cheaper in the long run (not hard to go 2JZ-GE + turbo).

I've heard there is a way to drop a DSM/Evo motor in those as well if you want to keep it in the family. Or amybe a 3SGTE if you want to go Toyota and the straight six won't fit :)

19cturbo

Dec 14, 2012
Kingsport tn
The straight six will fit, pretty nicely actually.. I would go 2j but i need it with the R154 and as of right now i can only spare enough to pick up the 1j with the transmission i need. Its going to save me roughly 1500+ dollars right now. I should be able to part my stuff out on my car to pay for the swap. 2j is in the future, when the money is right.

The 1j fits nicely though

p1900809_1.jpg