New guy from Chicago

Waltz7m

Mar 20, 2013
Chicago
New to the site and new to Supras in whole. Ive been long admiring them and finally got a chance to get my own and I snatched it up. I have a 88 turbo with an auto trans and targa top. Im so new to this I literally just got the car a few days ago, havent even hit a week with it.lol As for plans I want to do a manual swap but overall keep the 7M and give it a little extra something something yet be a decent daily...
Any advice for a new guy is more than welcome!!!IMG_20130321_181643.jpg

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Nice Start and welcome to the forums.

Advice from me? Do it slowly and if its your only car, plan very well in advance. Talk through your build here for any input prior to doing anything and do your own research as well. There are a lot of paths for doing things, but the best way to do it is usually the one you find after a lot of reading. Start a build thread as well so you have a diary to look back on. Lots of pictures... :)

When you ask advice its usually good to point out that you have/dont have good mechanical skills, know/dont know what your doing etc.

My best advice is.. dont Mickey Mouse the car... I have dealt with too many of those.. lol. Do it right and dont expect it to be very cheap. a solid build car will last a long time and give you lots of happiness. Mickey Mouse builds usually cause headaches and repeat performances when it comes to builds.

Waltz7m

Mar 20, 2013
Chicago
Thanks for the welcome. Im super excited about this car and it has been a while that Ive gotten like that over any car. I have many questions already but have also had many answered already by reading around on here. But there is one question I havent found much about online... Is the TEMS worth trying to preserve on these cars? I have read on here and other sites that the only shocks that work with the system is the Tokico Illumina II and those are hard to find... sorry if this is wrong are for this question.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Honest answer is no. They are "nice" to have, but not really necessary. Once people go with a higher power output on these cars, they usually stiffen the suspension (also to drop it a bit to get rid of the wheel gap in the wells). I had TEMS, now I have HDS Coilovers. The ride is a LOT different mind you as they are quite stiffer.. so if your looking for comfort, then perhaps it might be worthwhile. Mine are okay now that I am used to them, but I will be driving on them for another month and then getting a wheel alignment. It gives me some time to adjust their stiffness. Nice to not have excessive body-roll in fast cornering situations.. however.. the rear end tends to come out easier so I am relearning the car handling.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Nice 3E5!

With the way Chicago roads are, keeping TEMS is something that might be beneficial lol. My car is lowered and substantially stiffer suspension-wise and I get a lot of back pain driving on the streets for long periods of time >.<