New guy from Bear, DE!

ManicMike

Mar 21, 2013
Bear, DE
What's up guys! Names Mike. Figured I'd post here first, just got my hand's on a Mk3 and ready to do some work! Wanna get a reliable 350whp out of it and just have some fun with it.

It's a '88 and seem's to be pretty modded already..
This is from the ad when I got the car " The engine has been removed and built internally including piston's, valves, cams, thicker head gasket and other forged internals. Upgraded turbo. Over $5000 invested into the engine alone. "

From what I can see it's got:
-Full 3inch exhaust, no brand names on it. Actually sound's pretty decent, has a low rumble and not high pitched/ricey at all.
- Aftermarket FMIC
- Has a kinugawa wastegate actuator. Think it's got like a 10psi spring in it.
- Adjustable aeromotive fuel pressure regulator.
- Has a AEM wideband on the inside along with a boost gauge on a 3 pillar pod.

Need's a little body work (the bumper and the turn lens, I have a lens and side molding on order)..
p1924965_1.jpg

p1924965_2.jpg

p1924965_3.jpg

p1924965_4.jpg

p1924965_5.jpg

p1924965_6.jpg

I'm not sure if this is right, but this is the current FP setting (engine running)..
Vac line connected:
p1924965_7.jpg

Vac line disconnected:
p1924965_8.jpg

Now for the questions..
- The guy said the turbo was upgraded, it look's stock to me. I will say this, it's pretty laggy. Iuno if that's common or what, it's just laggy to me.
- It's currently hitting "fuel cut" ( I did do a bit of reading on this, looks like a lexus AFM and 550's will fix it) on 10-11psi. This the correct way to go?
- I'm curious if it already has a lexus afm and 550's, how can i tell? I think though if it did, i wouldn't have a fuel cut problem..

I'm just trying to figure out what's on the car right now, before I go ordering part's I might already have lol For being a bit on the heavy side, she does scoot pretty good though!

-Mike

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
If you had a Lexus AFM and 550's you'd likely know it. 550s is probably a better solution than using a BCC, messing with your AFM screw, trying to find a different waste spring, or any other solution. It'd be in your best interest to get a wideband before you start modding.

You may want to ask the previous owner about the turbo sizing and brand. If the turbo is externally waste-gated that probably means it really is aftermarket. Maybe a ebay turbo though...

Also, If you have a one piece DP and no cats you shouldn't have much lag though; then again, lag is subjective. You could have leak(s) somewhere too.

Hopefully everything is legit, and the guy didn't lie to you about the built motor, head work, and turbo. I'm not saying implying isn't legit, but there are some dirty people out there.

Anyway looks good. Love the front pre '89 bumper and wingless look.

ManicMike

Mar 21, 2013
Bear, DE
SupraMedical68;1925895 said:
If you had a Lexus AFM and 550's you'd likely know it. 550s is probably a better solution than using a BCC, messing with your AFM screw, trying to find a different waste spring, or any other solution. It'd be in your best interest to get a wideband before you start modding.

You may want to ask the previous owner about the turbo sizing and brand. If the turbo is externally waste-gated that probably means it really is aftermarket. Maybe a ebay turbo though...

Also, If you have a one piece DP and no cats you shouldn't have much lag though; then again, lag is subjective. You could have leak(s) somewhere too.

Hopefully everything is legit, and the guy didn't lie to you about the built motor, head work, and turbo. I'm not saying implying isn't legit, but there are some dirty people out there.

Anyway looks good. Love the front pre '89 bumper and wingless look.

Well I went ahead and ordered a Lipp AFM and 650's. They arrived today. :icon_bigg Car already has a wideband and I do have a bit of tuning background (my "streetcar" is a '88 mustang with a GM 5.3 and a big 70mm turbo controlled by megasquirt). The turbo is still internally gated. I don't think it's a built motor he said he "saw" the paper work but when he bought it the guy didn't have it......

I got it to pass inspection today, so now I can really start tearing into it and figure out what's goin on with it.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
did you go with 650's? or 550's? from my understanding the 550s are an easy mod to make fit in a stock 7m fuel rail (just a resistor wire? correct me if I'm wrong) and the lexus AFM tricks the system into accounting for the extra fuel. So if you go bigger your gunna need a piggy back (SAFCII) comes to find. I'm not a 7m guy I had one but it was a barely modded and auto I sold it and bought a jdm ttr with a 5 speed and I'm about at the same stage as you except I got a rare aftermarket ECU and i'm trying to put in jdm 440s and turn the boost up on my upgraded turbos (their stock ones with new internals, could be what you have, ct 57-1 maybe?) but I know I need a new fuel pump, wideband and fuel pressure gauge like you got their. But having everything under the hood brand new one day sure would be nice.