new exhuast studs question

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
hey guys i just finished installing the drift mition helicoil kit but i have a question about the studs. i loctite'd the helicoils but what do i do with the studs? just finger tigheten them into the holes and then slap the manifold on?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yes, though I used antisieze on them as well...

Did you clean the excess loctite out? Have a bad feeling you didn't...

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
To install them i "double nutted" them. I finger tightened the stud in the head then put one nut on far enough down to put 2nd nut right up to it. then you just turn the 2nd nut you put on and it will tighten up the stud. HTH.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
ABQMK2;1050560 said:
To install them i "double nutted" them. I finger tightened the stud in the head then put one nut on far enough down to put 2nd nut right up to it. then you just turn the 2nd nut you put on and it will tighten up the stud. HTH.

There's no point in tightening up studs past finger tight. What you did is a waste of time. ;)

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
^ i was thinking about doing the same but i figured the stud is already utilizing the whole helicoil so whats the diff

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Actually, by double nutting the stud, you probably bound the stud and the helicoil. Don't be surprised if, when you try to remove the stud, you get the helicoil as well. Hopefully it won't be when you're trying to remove the ex. mani., and the nut is seized on the stud. Gets kinda messy...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Hardened washers vs the cheap stamped type ;)
Basically the same kind as you see on head bolts.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
jdub;1052221 said:
Hardened washers vs the cheap stamped type ;)
Basically the same kind as you see on head bolts.

i've honestly never seen a difference.... even at my dads work that does medical stuff, they get all of there stuff from pro stainless, and they look just like the ones i get at the hardware store...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Poodles;1052229 said:
no washers for the stock setup :dunno:

True...and the stock studs/nut back off too...the stock nuts are a flanged type.

I use washers to help spread the clamping force from the nuts...I'm also using ARP flanged nuts and washers on my exhaust studs. Probably overkill, but they do not back off.

There is a difference Rennat...google hardened washer.