new engine running like crap....

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
well, got my new engine put in. It's not running good. I'm getting a code 24 and 31. The AFM was good when I tore it down.

It's running really really rough and idles at about 500 rpm but bounces up to 1500 rpm every once in a while. It constantly missfires at any rpm, but isn't blowing black clouds or anything. If I unplug the afm while the car is running, it starts blowing smoke. When I plug it in it gets smooth for about 15 seconds and then runs bad again....

How can an AFM go bad just sitting there?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i'm with ihi with the cam timing if the afm is fine

but i shit you not if you give one good fart near afm's black box it will break

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
well, the afm apparently got wet....

I also think the cam timing is off, but I've checked it and checked it and it looks fine. I even played with the cam gears multiple times.

Timmer

Apr 12, 2005
Canada
gixxer750 said:
well, the afm apparently got wet....

I also think the cam timing is off, but I've checked it and checked it and it looks fine. I even played with the cam gears multiple times.

Are you sure all of the plug wires are in their proper positions?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I'll stick to the code issue.

It can at first seem confusing whether a sensor is bad or just doing it's job but most sensors on the engine throw codes only when they or their associated wiring is bad. The key is knowing which sensor is in a feedback loop. For example the O2 sensor effects the injectors which in turn effects the O2 sensor so it's one that can either be bad or doing it's job and reporting a faulty mixture.

The AFM is not in such a loop. Cam timing may well cause engine weirdness but that weirdness affects the AFM very little. And even if it did it can't cause the codes you're seeing. Both of the codes you have can only be set when the ecu detects an open or short in the AFM signals, not by any weidness in a still operating signal. The symptoms you're having also point to an AFM failure ie, dead signals.

Got it wet? Let it dry while praying for redemption. Since the electronics are sealed it may only be a wet connector. Try blowing that out with a little compressed air or contact cleaner. Otherwise replace the AFM. Check the wiring to it first.

sleepersupra

i hate this car
Nov 5, 2005
Broken Arrow, Ok
i think the plug wires are off by one, or timing is off. i thought i had my plug wires on wrong once. check the tsrm and make sure twice your wires are in the right order.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
afm water do not mix shock and after don't mix akka drop it or some thing

cuase really i bet yae it's broken i broke like 3 so far