New CPS Problem...

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
So I was stoped at a red light today, on my way to school....and all the sudden I here a "pop", the next thing I know my engine shuts off....but things lights my radio are still on. I start looking under the hood, and find this....

p1518662_1.jpg

p1518662_2.jpg

p1518662_3.jpg

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
ouch...

this is why I always keep a bit of extra wiring and some cutters in my glove box..

side note: you started with roman numerals on the coilpacks, and then switched to numbers..:D

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
RazoE;1518666 said:
ouch...

this is why I always keep a bit of extra wiring and some cutters in my glove box..

side note: you started with roman numerals on the coilpacks, and then switched to numbers..:D

Yea I couldnt remember what the other numerals looked like, lol, jk jk, but im going to try and solder the wires back together....and see that happens

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
I went and got soldering gun but I wanted to run this by some people....the wires off the CPS look like they are lossing there color, but its still orange to orange, red to red, and green to green, right? then the black goes to the 3 wres that are wires together?

Heres what im talking about, if you can get the picture.

p1518750_1.jpg

p1518750_2.jpg

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
depin the stock connectors, and buy new terminals. easternbeaver.com has sumitomo sealed connectors and pins http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Sealed/SM-MT/sm-mt.html

The wires on my CPS were cracked, i just trimmed off a few mm, stripped the wires, and crimped new terminals on. It will cost you about $10. I bought new connectors with terminals, but if you reuse the stock connectors you only need to buy new terminals and wire seals.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Enraged;1518778 said:
depin the stock connectors, and buy new terminals. easternbeaver.com has sumitomo sealed connectors and pins http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Sealed/SM-MT/sm-mt.html

The wires on my CPS were cracked, i just trimmed off a few mm, stripped the wires, and crimped new terminals on. It will cost you about $10. I bought new connectors with terminals, but if you reuse the stock connectors you only need to buy new terminals and wire seals.

Ok so soldering is an ok idea, but these connectors will probably be more my style seing how I have never soldered before.....but i tried it, not that hard, but it still didnt work, so ill try getting those connectors tomorrow.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
TweeT91109;1519078 said:
oh got cha, ill move it when the car moves.....

The fact is It's a deeper problem than just the belt moving. There's plates on either side of the timing gear to prevent the belt from moving anywhere other than the center of the gears. More than likely one of these plates separated from the gear (most common), however during my build I discovered it was because my thrust washer on the front side was essentially gone causing the crank to slide into the engine more.

-Mike

ImCressid

Dec 15, 2009
newyork
Watch ur colors after years the color dont look the way the should
I had the same problem with the colors of my cps wires
If ur car still doesnt start with the match up u described earlier try
Engine harness plug TO CPS plug:
blue > > red
red > > green
yellow > > yellow (only one that matches color to color)
black > > white
I got those colors from another site dont know if they work.... but maybe u could use them.
and if not at least now i will know that match up is wrong

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

And take pic when ur done so everyone can see it and use it as a reference
good luck

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
ImCressid;1519240 said:
Watch ur colors after years the color dont look the way the should
I had the same problem with the colors of my cps wires
If ur car still doesnt start with the match up u described earlier try
Engine harness plug TO CPS plug:
blue > > red
red > > green
yellow > > yellow (only one that matches color to color)
black > > white
I got those colors from another site dont know if they work.... but maybe u could use them.
and if not at least now i will know that match up is wrong

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

And take pic when ur done so everyone can see it and use it as a reference
good luck

Ok well i went and got some alagator clips, so that I can try to hook the wires together easier....hopefully those work..ill try those color matches and see what happens....

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Ok so got to looking close at all the wires, and noticed that three wires are crimped into one....pics follow.....anyone know why this might be? Cause I cant figure out what colors....this is suppose to stand for....

p1519590_1.jpg

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
Took a few pictures while rewiring mine. Look like the 3 wires are combined into ground (black on the harness side). You can see in the pic that the top two wires on the CPS are red and green.

Attachments

• photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 15
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 16

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
each sensor in the cps has a ground wire. that is the three wires connected together.

you cps wiring is hard and fried. the wire insulation will crack and wiggle there causing another break. you will get crap signals from this cps especially if the ground wires are wiggling changing the resistance. you need a new cps or rebuilt one. thing is you cant replace the wires inside the cps but may can cut out the very hard wire just inside the grommet. i have never done that.

heres a pic of the wiring color to color and note the position of the wires in the plug.

Attachments

• CPSwithearlyloom.jpg
    CPSwithearlyloom.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 13