new computer

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Personally, I would not get a dell, their customer service is SEVERLY lacking. Look into a Lenovo, or an Acer machine, I havent run into any problems with them.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
D34DC311 said:
build them one. Its very simple, and 1/4th the cost of what dell will charge you.

i second this, and it will give you the experience as well. you can get an OS for really cheap when you are buying OEM computer stuff as well for a fraction of retail.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
D34DC311 said:
build them one. Its very simple, and 1/4th the cost of what dell will charge you.

Well, that depends hugely on the level of system he is getting.

If not going high-end, you'd by hard-pressed to build one cheaper than you could buy an off-the-shelf system (not to mention the time you'll put in).

If you can build anything but the highest end system for a 1/4 price, please let me know where you are sourcing your components.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
dugums said:

If not going high-end, you'd by hard-pressed to build one cheaper than you could buy an off-the-shelf system (not to mention the time you'll put in).

If you can build anything but the highest end system for a 1/4 price, please let me know where you are sourcing your components.

Pricewatch.com, read the reviews and learn where to shop. I also have a dealer license with tiger direct, but it kinda sucks cause I have to buy in mass quanities, so who the hell wants to buy 12, $400 video cards.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
dugums said:

That is completely incorrect.
An example would be alienware or even those Dell "gaming" rigs. I could build a better and nicer computer for a lot less than 4K.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
JustAnotherVictim said:
An example would be alienware or even those Dell "gaming" rigs. I could build a better and nicer computer for a lot less than 4K.

Yep.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
JustAnotherVictim said:

Well apparently you missed the part of my post that said - If NOT going high end.

I was trying to suggest that if this guy is looking for a run-of-the-mill system (read $500 - $1000) it is very hard to build a machine with that type of equipment for less money than you could buy off the shelf.

Certainly cannot be done at 1/4 of the price.

I was actually completely agreeing that a high-end gaming system can be had cheaper if you build it yourself.

The point is, the OP did not indicate what type of system/price range he was looking for. You are basing your comments on the computer YOU would want. Not everybody needs that level of machine.

He said:

noah89t said:
does anyone have any coupons from dell? i am trying to buy a new pc for my little bro. and sis. and any savings would help.
thanks

That does not sound to me like he is looking for an expensive system.

I still fail to see how you can build a $500 - $1000 machine for 1/4 the price (heck I will even say the SAME price). Please show me the error of my ways and why I am "completely incorrect".

It's one thing to save a bundle when building a high-end system (which I have done quite a few times over the past few years), it is quite another to just blindly tell somebody to waste their time and money building a machine they can buy cheaper.

Just my .02

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
dugums said:
Well apparently you missed the part of my post that said - If NOT going high end.

I was trying to suggest that if this guy is looking for a run-of-the-mill system (read $500 - $1000) it is very hard to build a machine with that type of equipment for less money than you could buy off the shelf.

Certainly cannot be done at 1/4 of the price.

I was actually completely agreeing that a high-end gaming system can be had cheaper if you build it yourself.

The point is, the OP did not indicate what type of system/price range he was looking for. You are basing your comments on the computer YOU would want. Not everybody needs that level of machine.

He said:

That does not sound to me like he is looking for an expensive system.

I still fail to see how you can build a $500 - $1000 machine for 1/4 the price (heck I will even say the SAME price). Please show me the error of my ways and why I am "completely incorrect".

It's one thing to save a bundle when building a high-end system (which I have done quite a few times over the past few years), it is quite another to just blindly tell somebody to waste their time and money building a machine they can buy cheaper.

Just my .02

actually a run of the mil system is easier and WAY cheaper to spec for 1/4 the price than the higher end systems. Again where are you buying parts from?

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
D34DC311 said:
actually a run of the mil system is easier and WAY cheaper to spec for 1/4 the price than the higher end systems. Again where are you buying parts from?

There is a Tiger Direct outlet close to me - that is normally where I get my stuff. My company gets really inexpensive components from another supplier.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3208028&CatId=2630

500 * 1/4 = $124.75 Tell me where to buy the parts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107497

775 * 1/4 = $193.75 Tell me where to buy the parts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107508

929 * 1/4 = $232.25 Tell me where to buy the parts

(don't forget the 22" widescreen monitor that comes with the last one :icon_bigg )

Seriously, if you are getting parts that cheap - good for you.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
JustAnotherVictim said:
Plus most of those run of the mill machines are pretty cheaply made. Good for Word and maybe some net surfing.
So instead of spending $1000 on one of those spend $1500 and have a pretty nice and damn reliable machine.
High end is all up to opinion as well.

Most of these machines do a fine job for a broad range of applications. They may not be all-out gaming machines - but nobody established that's what the OP wants.

I have bought plenty of high quality, reliable machines for bargain prices.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
JustAnotherVictim said:
Your newegg links don't work.
You really trust Acer?
Acer is like Emachines to me, they work for about a year then they're fucked.
I mean something that will last you for a good bit of time and is easily upgradeable.

You know what then - take your pick of any desktop under $1000 at newEgg, tiger, bestBuy, circuitCity, etc. and show me where to buy the components for 1/4 of the price.

It's just not going to happen.:nono:

I'm not really taking issue with your statement anyway. You said instead of buying a $1000 machine, let's spend $1500 + time and build a better one. I don't dispute this.

People are telling me that they can build machines significantly (1/4 of the price) cheaper when it's not true.