New computer visualization project for engine data - tuners, give your opinions

acetmi

Apr 27, 2005
MN
Hey y'all,

I am thinking of writing a visualization software for some of the components of our car in order to help in tuning or to better understand what's going on in the engine, hopefully in real time. Most of the data I'm thinking about right now is O2, MAF, temp (hopefully from different areas of the engine at the same time), and other sensor data that can be obtained from aftermarket engine tuning parts.

The idea is that we have all this data, mostly in the form of numbers, that can either be stored in some log (in the engine management system) and downloaded into a computer where you can read the text, or some real-time display unit mounted in the car (like the Apexi SAFC) can render some of the information visually, usually in the form of a graph. What I'm going to try to do is create a better visualization of the data, maybe in terms of fluid flows (for MAF), or other color maps and visualization techniques that can convey the same information in a much faster way, and hopefully help in tuning.

I have not researched much into this, but I am wondering how much work it'll be to get some sort of OBDx interface and get data out of it that could be directly read into , say, the serial port of a computer. I guess what I would prefer is to have some engine management system, which itself does extensive logging of all the car engine statistics, but does not have an effective way of visualizing all that information. I could then directly read from this engine management system, and create an effective visualization of the engine characteristics. AEM may have some sort of visualization, but you need to ask: 1.) Is it effective, or can it be improved, and 2.) if it is very effective, is it cheap?

So I need basically two kinds of input from y'all right now.

1.) What kind of car engine tuning units, and the related sensors, have been most useful for tuning, and which you would have loved to have a better visual representation of.

2.) I'm in the Twin Cities area of MN. I'll need the help of someone's supra (hopefully highly tuned, with the relevant engine tuning units installed) to get the relevant data out, MKIII or MKIV.

Thanks guys. Hopefully this will be a fun project that can be useful for most ppl.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
like i said over on SF:

sounds interesting but remember that the mk4 came with obd1 and 2 where the ma70 came with obd0. what will work for the mk4 may not work for the mk3.

ps. aem might be able to do this already and you would just be reinventing the wheel. think more stock lines possibly to hit more people
---------------------------------------

also im not sure who all would really benefit from it minus the higher hp guys, plus theres the fact that everyone uses a different electronics setup and that the ecu was changed from pre89 to post there might be more headaches then worth.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
I think shooting for the stock setup is a good idea.
However i think having the option for mating it up with a MAFT-Pro, would be better, a nice touchscreen possibly would be awesome as a interface / display, you could be really clever and find a way to have it slide in instead of the ash-tray perhaps!

Make sure it'll have the ability to add aftermark sensors, such as wideband (keep in mind it might have to also be connected to a gauge and maft-pro or other setup) and EGT, etc!

acetmi

Apr 27, 2005
MN
MKIIINA said:
like i said over on SF:

sounds interesting but remember that the mk4 came with obd1 and 2 where the ma70 came with obd0. what will work for the mk4 may not work for the mk3.

ps. aem might be able to do this already and you would just be reinventing the wheel. think more stock lines possibly to hit more people
---------------------------------------

also im not sure who all would really benefit from it minus the higher hp guys, plus theres the fact that everyone uses a different electronics setup and that the ecu was changed from pre89 to post there might be more headaches then worth.

Just wondering, could some people who have used an engine management system (EMS) give their input here? I really don't think I want to go the OBDx route, as I think more information from sensors is gathered by an aftermarket EMS, plus the fact that you can get all this info from the EMS straight to a computer through the serial port.

Yes, this project may be biased towards some EMS of a specific brand and will not fit the tastes of all people in this forum, given the different electronic setups. So I guess I'm looking for people who are interested in such a project, maybe for a particular electronics setup, where the current way to visualize the data coming from the EMS is not particularly effective, or could be done in a better manner, in order to aid in tuning.

acetmi

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
I don't have one yet, but lots of people here are running MAFT-Pro, and sounds like it's perfect for your target demographic, since anyone spending much more will have a full blown EMS, and will probably already have these features you're trying to develop. I will definitely be purchasing MAFT-Pro. And since it's updated regularly by a guy who takes input from this community, I'd really recommend going to Full Throttle Speed forums, and finding TurboBob!

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
You might want to take a look at MegaSquirt II or the GenBoard project (which evolved from MegaSquirt IIRC) if you haven't already done so. Those are open-source EMS projects, so it should be really easy to find information on how to get to the data they're providing.
Plus they're relatively cheap (as in cost effective).
The thing is, I don't know of any MKIII/MKIV owners actually using MegaSquirt or GenBoard...

acetmi

Apr 27, 2005
MN
encomiast said:
You might want to take a look at MegaSquirt II or the GenBoard project (which evolved from MegaSquirt IIRC) if you haven't already done so. Those are open-source EMS projects, so it should be really easy to find information on how to get to the data they're providing.
Plus they're relatively cheap (as in cost effective).
The thing is, I don't know of any MKIII/MKIV owners actually using MegaSquirt or GenBoard...

Thanks a lot for the helpful pointer, encomiast. Those projects look very promising in terms of this project. I would be very keen to help out in the open-source projects, but I'll need someone who uses the MegaSquirt II or GenBoard systems in MN to tune cars. Probably performance tuner shops/race shops would also have systems that could benefit from a better visualization of their data.

So, is there anyone in MN (preferrably close to twin cities) who knows a tuner/performance shop, and who uses these EMS (either the open-source EMS systems, or anything else) who has ideas of a better way of visualizing engine data for the benefit of ease/accuracy of tuning? If you also know of shops that I may contact in the area who may be interested (they do NOT necessarily have to work on Supras, obviously), please let me know. I hope by the end of December to have a full usable software.

Thanks.