New clutch time

Supratrbox2

Damnit
Jul 27, 2005
South Jerzey
My clutch has started to slip so you know what time it is. My car is bpu 1jz and probably wont see any hp increases soon but somthing that can support up to 400hp is what im lookin for just in case. I figured on gettin a light wt flywheel too since it will be rite there. So what clutch kits & flywheels would anyone recomend. Also is there anything else I should replace while im doing this? Thanks for your time.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i currently have the spec stage 2 clutch. it held everything i gave it. i was pushing a little over 400. highly recommended. it takes a little getting used to when you first start driving it. almost no chatter.
once i complete my build, i will have to upgrade.
-pete

Supratrbox2

Damnit
Jul 27, 2005
South Jerzey
product.sc;1046648 said:
which tranny do you have?
R154.

A stiffer pedal doesnt really bother me but this is my daily driver so nothing to hard. Id like to spend around or under $500 on the clutch kit so I can also get a lighter flywheel. Or is the flywheel not worth the extra effort and I should just look into something else? Thanks guys.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I also have the lightened flywheel from Aaron and I really like it too. The clutch cost $515.00

jacques

Jun 6, 2008
baton rouge, la
i don't know from firsthand experience (yet), but i've often heard from good sources that a lightened flywheel is, bang for the buck, one of the best performance upgrades.

it makes sense if you think about it. it's not weight savings, of course; the lightened flywheel is less rotational mass that the crank has to work to spin. so if the crank is using X amount of power to spin W lbs/kgs in weight from the factory, there are huge benefits to be reaped if you come along with a lightened flywheel. this means that the crank is still using X amount of power to spin <W lbs/kgs in weight. unless i've missed something, there seems to be very few disincentives to this upgrade (one is the possible loss of ability to climb hills, which would rely more on a gritty, slow flywheel-turning). it's what i'm saving towards right now, actually.

i would like to second the question of brands, though. i can't speak for the OP, but my budget for a flywheel is quite a bit less than the $500 FW mentioned earlier. does anyone have experience with fidanza flywheels or some of the brands that sell for around $300-350?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
jacques;1050766 said:
i don't know from firsthand experience (yet), but i've often heard from good sources that a lightened flywheel is, bang for the buck, one of the best performance upgrades.

it makes sense if you think about it. it's not weight savings, of course; the lightened flywheel is less rotational mass that the crank has to work to spin. so if the crank is using X amount of power to spin W lbs/kgs in weight from the factory, there are huge benefits to be reaped if you come along with a lightened flywheel. this means that the crank is still using X amount of power to spin <W lbs/kgs in weight. unless i've missed something, there seems to be very few disincentives to this upgrade (one is the possible loss of ability to climb hills, which would rely more on a gritty, slow flywheel-turning). it's what i'm saving towards right now, actually.

i would like to second the question of brands, though. i can't speak for the OP, but my budget for a flywheel is quite a bit less than the $500 FW mentioned earlier. does anyone have experience with fidanza flywheels or some of the brands that sell for around $300-350?

One thing to keep in mind, less mass on the flywheel means less mass to soak up heat, which means higher surface temperatures on the clutch face. If you're abusing the clutch (like launching), and are running a metallic compound on your disk, you'll likely weld them together.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
black87turbo;1050771 said:
ACT HD PP + 6 Puck sprung disk from A2automotive= FTW cost around 500

Yep this would be a great choice for the power your producing.

Plus you get the backing of one of the largest clutch manufacturers in the industry.

Oh, and its in stock too! :naughty:

Supratrbox2

Damnit
Jul 27, 2005
South Jerzey
Well since my car has a bit more power than stock ive been lookin at the hybrid clutch kit you have CK. I dont forsee 400hp levels in my immediate future so the hybrid should be fine, just need to decide if I should get a light flywheel or 1pc driveshaft or something else.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Supratrbox2;1057042 said:
Well since my car has a bit more power than stock ive been lookin at the hybrid clutch kit you have CK. I dont forsee 400hp levels in my immediate future so the hybrid should be fine, just need to decide if I should get a light flywheel or 1pc driveshaft or something else.

No worries, its a good setup.

1pc driveshaft, yes.

Lightweight flywheel no.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
less mass of the flywheel is a comprimise.

One, more chance of shutting the engine off on take off.
two, lose speed on uphill climbs as the flywheel is not heavy enogh to store energy.
The flywheel is not an issue. Now if you are RACING (And i mean the real road racing like in Watkin Glenn etc) then that is a different issue.