new clutch issues

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
Hi Guys,

I had my clutch replaced in my Soarer (1jz-r154) and it felt great when I got it back from the shop, nice and tight, heavy and the clutch point was near the bottom of the pedal.

Its been one week and now the clutch point is near the top of the pedal. I can smell clutch even after light driving. When I have the clutch engaged in neutral is makes a loud ticking sound.

I am wondering what went wrong? Do I need another clutch again!?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
you are supposed to break in a clutch for 500 around town miles before getting on it. you also need to keep adjusting the clutch pedal untill the clutch finds its home in the flywheel and pp...adjust your pedal and see what happens

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
I did break it in 500 miles in town, i did not adjust the pedal however. I will take it back to the mechanic and see what he says..

but it feels like the clutch is gone again...unless that ticking sound is saying that the adjustment isnt right?

whats with the loud ticking?

can i still drive the car to work?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
if you have another car then id park the supra.

ps. life is going to be very expensive for you if you keep haveing to take the car to a mechanic. you should try to learn to do this stuff by yourself as you will be working on these cars often.

i have no idea what the ticking is....it could be a spring that broke on the plate or your bearing blew...with a clutch there really isnt much that can be said other then pull the trans and have a look.

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
gaboonviper85;1221182 said:
if you have another car then id park the supra.

ps. life is going to be very expensive for you if you keep haveing to take the car to a mechanic. you should try to learn to do this stuff by yourself as you will be working on these cars often.

i have no idea what the ticking is....it could be a spring that broke on the plate or your bearing blew...with a clutch there really isnt much that can be said other then pull the trans and have a look.

its not a supra its a soarer, I do some work on my own, but I have to drive this car everyday, and its minus 20 celcius right now.

The supra I do all my own work on.

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
Hey,

So the mechanic took off the clutch access covers and we saw that the clutch fork had significant play in it..we think this is the source of the ticking noise

He told me nothing was wrong and everything was good...took me an hour to convince him to drive the car and show me if it was really good

he drove the car then admitted something was up..

what are your thoughts? We know for sure the clutch is gone, but what caused it to go?

Are you supposed to have play in the clutch fork?

I noticed when i pulled the tranny on my supra there was no play at all

My soarer uses the same tranny as in the supra (r154)

Thanks guys,

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
^SEARCH!^

i never had much play on the fork im my car (2j + 1j bell + r-154)

i would suggest replacing pilot bearing and pilot washer assembly assembly.

another reason i can come up with in my head is one or ore of the fingers on the pressure plate are bent or broken. causing it to rub or hit the pilot bearing.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Sounds to me that they didn't install the washers and snap rings correctly causing the throwout assembly to have play...a snap ring could be broke and be stuck inside the clutch...

Honestly there is no possible way to tell what the problem is until you drop the trans....that's the sad part about clutch problems.

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
gaboonviper85;1223719 said:
Sounds to me that they didn't install the washers and snap rings correctly causing the throwout assembly to have play...a snap ring could be broke and be stuck inside the clutch...

Honestly there is no possible way to tell what the problem is until you drop the trans....that's the sad part about clutch problems.

that sounds about right, I just want to take it somewhere else..this guy is not willing to help me at all (prolly because he already got his pay from me when I brought the car in the first time)

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
so i got the car back today...everything feels solid and amazing!!

only thing is the clutch engagement point is near the top of the pedal... i would've thought it would go down with a new clutch.. but I noticed this with a lot of r154s...

is this normal for our cars? anyway to adjust it?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
sweetlikechutny;1224809 said:
well we found one of the problems...clutch fork came out in more then one piece, lol

Pressure plate, disc and flywheel all look solid.

thats not good, but still could've been doable in 20 mins or so

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
tlo86;1227548 said:
thats not good, but still could've been doable in 20 mins or so

actually the fork was fine..it was missing the pin. My mistake. The trust cone spring was also missing during the first installation...thats now fixed.

87tomanymods

87tomanymods
Oct 25, 2008
lansdale
www.myspace.com
the fork should have some play otherwise youl wear out the throw out bearing its only got a duty cycle of 2% only need about a mm of play ive seen people put them in with a pre load and wipe a clutch out pretty quick cause then its like your riding it all the time and it never realy release causing glazing cracks in flywheel and slipage