New California LPFET Emissions Test

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Since many here are so fond of California's BAR Smog Check Program I thought those living there who don't already know of it might be interested in the Low Pressure Fuel Evaporative Test for older vehicles that became mandatory last month. It applies to all model year vehicles 1976-1995 except as noted below.

The test basically involves pressuring the fuel tank and vapor line (up to but not including the evap cannister) with nitrogen through the gas cap and then testing for the tiniest of leaks. Failure of the test results in a fail on the entire emissions test.

The following vehicles are exempt:

1) Model-year 1996 and newer vehicles.

2) 1976-1995 model year vehicles that:

a) Were not originally equipped with a fuel evaporative control system.

b) Are powered exclusively by Compressed Natural Gas (CNG), Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG), or Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG).

c) Do not have a fuel fill pipe adapter available for the EVAP tester; or

d) Are equipped with a fuel evaporative system canister and hoses that are not accessible or would require dismantling or lifting the vehicle to gain access for testing.

As with all BAR-97 emissions equipment the machine is tamper proof and communicates the result directly to the DMV. There's a lot more to know about this test and how it's done but 'dems the basics.

Info here: http://tinyurl.com/2h92l8

Let the bitching begin....

Adrian98

Banned
Dec 19, 2006
orange county
soundsl iek they are going to be doing more than a vacuum test.
if so that sucks because they'd be pulling off those old hoses that like to break

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
All those 1J swaps that ditched the charcoal canister are going to have issues. Move to Florida folks.....

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
the t3d;912421 said:
haha DON'T move to florida, 'cause florida's is taking california's emission standards in 2009
=0(

-t3d

link? from what I remember it was being talked about, nothing passes.. and also it was only obd2 vehicles

time to buy a new car

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
the t3d;912421 said:
haha DON'T move to florida, 'cause florida's is taking california's emission standards in 2009
=0(

-t3d

Show me the link to that. The state doesnt even have vehicle inspections. That equipment would cost a fortune state wide.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
jetjock said:
The test basically involves pressuring the fuel tank and vapor line (up to but not including the evap cannister) with nitrogen through the gas cap and then testing for the tiniest of leaks. Failure of the test results in a fail on the entire emissions test.

Reading comprehension? ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
do what we've been telling you for a long time, relocate a JDM canister to the fender well area and you'll be fine...

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
1JZ won't pass in cali anyway. :icon_roll

Anyway, I've already had a few older cars roll through my shop for failing this portion of the test. Old vacuum lines are a real bitch to replace, and we charge good money for testing the system with smoke and pressure. :D

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Canister isn't involved. The test involves pinching the vapor line as close as possible to the canister so no removing of hoses. Fwiw with a little thought this test can be duplicated easily and cheaply at home before going in. Since we're talking about inches of water making a gage should cost less than a buck. The only problem are the risks involved (there are several) with using compressed air instead of N2.

Most OBD II vehicles do their own self testing of the EVAP system. As for the other tests Cali is one state that doesn't use OBD scanning. Every vehicle older than six years in enhanced areas gets the ASM loaded mode test. The basic areas get the old two speed idle test and change of ownership areas need testing only when that happens. It's a major misconception about Cali smog: The requirements are actually easy in most places and don't effect a large segment of the population much at all. Course, that's not much comfort if you happen to live in an enhanced area.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
BlackMKIII;912763 said:
Gay Area FTL.

Lol. East Bay is indeed enhanced these days. That was all politics though. The local politico over Stockton way (I forget his name) complained how your smog was supposedly being blown over there so he introduced legislation that forced the Bay Area into enhanced back around 2000.

I live in enhanced also and never fail because I test on my own before I let them get near it. It's the main reason I learned about this stuff. No stress, no muss, no fuss. I like it that way. That and I know the engine is running perfectly at all times. With a little effort and a few bucks anyone can do the same.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
jetjock;912790 said:
Lol. East Bay is indeed enhanced these days. That was all politics though. The local politico over Stockton way (I forget his name) complained how your smog was supposedly being blown over there so he introduced legislation that forced the Bay Area into enhanced back around 2000.

Stockton is Cali's asshole anyways. :biglaugh:
I did pass no problem last year so I figure it won't be too bad, but it just seems like they're trying to make it illegal to drive cars by making more regulations every year.