New brakes, pads dragging.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
New calipers, new rotors, new stainless lines, new pads, new hardware, new fluid.

Car's up on stands, wheels off. I was attempting to flush my transmission by letting it idle in fourth gear and as soon as I let the clutch out I hear this dragging noise, so I shut the car off. Checked out the rear rotors and black scuff marks were visible on the them, but not all the way around. They have 0 miles on them and I'm pretty sure/I] I got all the air out of the lines. I retightened the mounting bracket bolts and slider bolt but that didn't help.

I don't have a rear speed sensor so my ABS doesn't work. I just replaced the ECU so it hasn't had enough time to figure this out yet. The rotors are coated with Zinc to prevent rust also.

When it happed I noticed the caliper moving back and forth, it almost seems like the rotor was warped, but they're brand new...

Thoughts?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
You need the lug nuts to hold the disk flat to the hub. If you rely just on that single little nut with the point then it may not be flat on the hub, especially if you just put the disks on.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Ahh I didn't think of that. I have two lug nuts on it, but they're just as tight as I could get them with my fingers. I'll put the wheels on and torque down the lug nuts and update tomorrow. I can't believe I didn't think of that :stupid

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
Brewster said:
Ahh I didn't think of that. I have two lug nuts on it, but they're just as tight as I could get them with my fingers. I'll put the wheels on and torque down the lug nuts and update tomorrow. I can't believe I didn't think of that :stupid

YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO DRIVE DRUNK BUDDY#@%@%#@$#

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
check and see if the e-brake pads are rubbing on the inside "draggin" the rotors. Adjust them so they are loose then look at the actual caliper and brake pad to see if there is something messing it up.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
this may sound stupid because i dont know any better, but what do you mean by 'dragging'? i thought all pads stay in contact with the rotors at all times? the pads should be pressing against the rotors lightly right?

or am i just missing something lol

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
iwannadie said:
this may sound stupid because i dont know any better, but what do you mean by 'dragging'? i thought all pads stay in contact with the rotors at all times? the pads should be pressing against the rotors lightly right?

or am i just missing something lol

yeah you're right, but should i be able to hear them like this? this is the first set of brakes i've ever replaced by myself. the wheels spin freely, just makes a chhhhh sound... the only thing i have to compare it to is that i don't hear it driving around in other cars. :icon_conf

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Brewster said:
yeah you're right, but should i be able to hear them like this? this is the first set of brakes i've ever replaced by myself. the wheels spin freely, just makes a chhhhh sound... the only thing i have to compare it to is that i don't hear it driving around in other cars. :icon_conf

mine made the same sound when i first put them on and i could feel them rubbing. i just assumed it was normal, my motorcycle brakes do the exact same thing. although, my car/bike does it while up on stands, i dont hear anything while driving. its the same chhhh sound though when i spin the wheel by hand. not sure if you mean you can hear the chhh sound while driving.

as long as they rub consistant all the way around. spin the tire if you hear/feel them rub in a certain spot then that would be the sign of warped rotor, from what i know.

if it were me id go out and drive it and see what happens. follow any bed in procedure you might have. although, again im no expert ha.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Is it a uniform noise?

From you original post you seemed to say the caliper was moving back and forth which is a runout issue. Since the rotors are new this should not be the case.

There is really only a few reasons you might have runout.

1) The hub is damaged (not very likely)

2) The disk is not lying flat on the hub. You already went down this path by installing the wheels, but you might want to pull the rotors off and check for rust and debris caught between the rotor and hub.

3) The rotors are warped. Since they are new take them back and get some that aren't warped. If they are cheap aftermarket rotors, then buy something better.

If you have a dial gauge, measure the runout. Factory spec is less than 5 mils, but I think that is a pretty generous spec. New rotors should be less than 1 mil.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
It's fairly uniform. I could see the caliper moving back and forth when the wheel was off, couldn't tell if it still did it with the wheels on.

I just ran the car for about 15 minutes on stands and everything seems fine... The noise was annoying but it didn't seem to hurt anything. I have the transmission fluid draining out right now.