new ball-bushings made my day

ratpick63

detroit iron defector
May 4, 2006
Glendale, CA
Yesterday I replaced the rear "ball-bushings", where #2 lower control arm connects to rear knuckle/spindle. It made a wonderful difference.
Before it had this super-annoying clunky looseness as you would lift off the throttle or accelerate again. I thought my half-shafts had too much play or something, but it was just my rear suspension flopping around! Feels much better and now my new tires should not wear out prematurely.

I'm just so stoked I wanted to share.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Hmm... gonna have to go look it up...

It's always something with these cars LOL

Gonna have to get my car in the air and find it.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
ratpick63;924973 said:
Yesterday I replaced the rear "ball-bushings", where #2 lower control arm connects to rear knuckle/spindle. It made a wonderful difference.
Before it had this super-annoying clunky looseness as you would lift off the throttle or accelerate again. I thought my half-shafts had too much play or something, but it was just my rear suspension flopping around! Feels much better and now my new tires should not wear out prematurely.

I'm just so stoked I wanted to share.

wow! I'm glad you did.... (share that is)

I've had that same super-annoying clunky looseness that you're talking about. I thought it was my diff, then my drive shaft, etc.

Good to know that worked for you... I

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
I also have the same noise, and thought it was my diff. Clunks when I go from reverse to forward or if I stop then pull away.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Marked as "BUSHING" 1 is a spherical bearing the other a bush.

RA_006.gif

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
RedEj8;925883 said:
I have this sound in the front of my car when i make sharp turns or hit a bump while turning.

thats a little plastic stopper... i dont know what they are called. when you jack up your car and turn the wheel all the way, there is a metal stopper where it stops. toyota put a little plastic cap so it wont make that noise. yours is probably missing or worn away. they are cheap from toyota.
-pete

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
IJ.;926515 said:
One of mine was dry and totally stuffed, to drive the car it felt like wheel bearings even down to the grumble when changing directions.

I've something simaliar to what you are describing going on as we speak.

Not to smooth on the hiway, feels like the rears or driveline vibration. Haven't had time to see what it is.

When I do climb under it, I will surely check those parts as mine are original for sure.

Wayne