New 2008 Pioneer and Alpine head units with USB control

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I am happy, but not 100%. Pioneer just annouced the 2008 lineup, and the only deck that has USB control and the famed top-quality Burr-Brown D/A converter is a double-din unit, due out in March. My quest to fuse maximum audiophile fidelity with huge USB storage convenience may now be possible, if I can get over this huge faceplate that doesn't appear to be detachable. I'll have to install my switches in my ash tray now I guess.:runaway:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/FH-P800BT?tab=B
FH-P800BT_main_Reg.jpg

Alpine has a couple of new decks with USB control, but I can't find out if it can navigate folders(instead of ID3 tags like an iPod) like the Pioneer units do, or if it can handle large hard drives. I HATE not being able to navigate actual file folders. I have many mp3's that are not tagged and they are virtually impossible to locate on my stupid Creative Zen mp3 player. I think iPods are stupid like this too. I have a large folder I've created called "Misc" with some favorites and there is no way to play this folder on this damn Creative mp3 player(or iPods I believe, but could be wrong)

The difference in sound quality between the burr-brown chip and the standard ones is substantial, if you compare them side-by-side, provided your source material is top notch. If you rip your CD's using the latest version of dbPoweramp on the highest quality settings, I'd say that 99% of human ears can't tell the difference between the original CD track and the 320 bit mp3.

I ripped a high-quality CD track into .WAV(uncompressed) and then again into 320 bit mp3, and listening through the very high quality monitors and sound card in my pro-recording studio, I couldn't hear any difference for the life of me. Yet when I play my mp3's on my Pioneer USB deck that has the cheapo D/A converter, it sounds digital, like a lower quality mp3. My previous Pioneer CD player had the burr-brown D/A, and it sounded much better than my new deck. It was also $1000 new :)

By the way, I didn't even look at Sony or Panasonic decks because during the entire 5-years I worked in car audio a few years ago, those brands ALWAYS had much worse sound quality than Alpline or Pioneer, and this opinion was universal throughout our staff. I assume they still suck :)

Last edited:

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
tekdeus;876215 said:
I am happy, but not 100%. Pioneer just annouced the 2008 lineup, and the only deck that has USB control and the famed top-quality Burr-Brown D/A converter is a double-din unit, due out in March. My quest to fuse maximum audiophile fidelity with huge USB storage convenience may now be possible, if I can get over this huge faceplate that doesn't appear to be detachable. I'll have to install my switches in my ash tray now I guess.:runaway:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/FH-P800BT?tab=B
FH-P800BT_main_Reg.jpg

Alpine has a couple of new decks with USB control, but I can't find out if it can navigate folders(instead of ID3 tags like an iPod) like the Pioneer units do, or if it can handle large hard drives. I HATE not being able to navigate actual file folders. I have many mp3's that are not tagged and they are virtually impossible to locate on my stupid Creative Zen mp3 player. I think iPods are stupid like this too. I have a large folder I've created called "Misc" with some favorites and there is no way to play this folder on this damn Creative mp3 player(or iPods I believe, but could be wrong)

The difference in sound quality between the burr-brown chip and the standard ones is substantial, if you compare them side-by-side, provided your source material is top notch. If you rip your CD's using the latest version of dbPoweramp on the highest quality settings, I'd say that 99% of human ears can't tell the difference between the original CD track and the 320 bit mp3.

I ripped a high-quality CD track into .WAV(uncompressed) and then again into 320 bit mp3, and listening through the very high quality monitors and sound card in my pro-recording studio, I couldn't hear any difference for the life of me. Yet when I play my mp3's on my Pioneer USB deck that has the cheapo D/A converter, it sounds digital, like a lower quality mp3. My previous Pioneer CD player had the burr-brown D/A, and it sounded much better than my new deck. It was also $1000 new :)

By the way, I didn't even look at Sony or Panasonic decks because during the entire 5-years I worked in car audio a few years ago, those brands ALWAYS had much worse sound quality than Alpline or Pioneer, and this opinion was universal throughout our staff. I assume they still suck :)

I've had my JVC Deck since April last year and that's with USB, coloured screen and single din. Love IT

When reading through the specs, I noticed it listed 1bit D/A converters and not Burr-Brown or 24bit D/A.

If your looking for a double din, here is another option that also provides 24bit, NAV and DVD playback as well as a 30G HD to store even more music. Price might be a lot higher than the Pioneer though.

Eclipse AVN5495

Pioneer has had an outstanding rep for CD / Tuners, so I can understand your preference.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Yeah, apparently this deck is not burr-brown, they changed their website after I inquired about it. Which sucks since it will sound the same as my current deck, which is very lackluster compared to the burr-brown decks.

That Eclipse deck looks pretty cool though. Looks like I'll be forced into someting like this to get 24bit sound.

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
tekdeus;910763 said:
Yeah, apparently this deck is not burr-brown, they changed their website after I inquired about it. Which sucks since it will sound the same as my current deck, which is very lackluster compared to the burr-brown decks.

That Eclipse deck looks pretty cool though. Looks like I'll be forced into someting like this to get 24bit sound.

Did I miss something? I thought CD's were recorded at 16bit.