Neutral Safety Switch

suprashy

Jun 21, 2005
Nassau County, NY
Hi folks! I have an 87 Auto Turbo. Reverse lights haven't worked for years, and I finally have decided to see what's causing the problem. No tranny swap was done, and from searching this forum, a visual inspection shows all connectors are connected.

Bulbs are good, and the 7.5 gauge fuse which powers other items (in addition to the reverse lights), are working fine, so I assume the fuse is good.

I was about to start diagnosing (and learn how to using the TEWD and TSRM electrical schematics) the electrical wiring/connectors involved, but then I thought of something which yielded the following:

Car starts in P, R, N and D and continues to run like a champ as it always has.

If I understand correctly, the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) prevents a car from starting in other than P or N. A bad NSS would prevent a car from starting. But it appears I have the opposite issue. The car starts in any of the gears described above. Can this also be a result of a malfunctioning NSS? And if I understand correctly the reverse lights are also wired into the NSS?

The TEWD shows a "backup light switch", which I'm thinking is the NSS for an auto. Meaning the Auto has one switch that's the NSS which also incorporates the reverse light mechanism.

I'm thinking I have a bad NSS which is causing the car to start in any gear, and is also preventing the rev. lights from coming on.

What do you think?

Tks!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Switch prolly failed in the N or P position allowing you to start when ever. Back up lights is the reverse lights which is a totally different system that just shares the same power source and fuse.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
i may be wrong, but i think the neutral start and reverse are connected to electrical box on the side of the tranny with the shift linkage, and when the shifter is in R its supose to turn the lights on when it engages the reverese gear.

atleast thats how i got my rev lights and NSS to work when i did a 5 spd swap, was wire them into the AT wire harness (i just cut it off the trans)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hmm, my reverse lights don't work, and I merely put a wire in the one end of the NSS on my car to bypass that. Wonder if I need to find another way to get my reverse lights back, or if I have another issue?

suprashy

Jun 21, 2005
Nassau County, NY
hvyman;1763975 said:
Switch prolly failed in the N or P position allowing you to start when ever. Back up lights is the reverse lights which is a totally different system that just shares the same power source and fuse.

Does that mean the autos have a backup light switch AND a NSS switch? I located the NSS switch on the passenger side of the tranny which goes to two large round connectors to the harness in the manifold area.