Netgear WNDR3700 router problem

Cycoclown

SHAAWING!!!
Jan 18, 2008
Vacaville, CA
www.myspace.com
Hey everyone, long time no see... i just bought a brand new router (WNDR3700) the problem im having is none of my wireless computers (2 desktops and 1 laptop) can get any internet from it, they all access the router just fine but automaticly get hit with "limited access" or "Local Only" for vista.

Ive restarted my modem numerous times, waited the 30 second - 2 minute period.
Ive also done a hard reset on both the router and the modem.
I reconfigured it and have the same issue, ive even left it at the default factory settings and still nothing.

Heres the weird thing, My xbox will connect and wont lag (even if im down the street with poor connection im still golden" its just my pc's that cant connect, i have no idea what it could be.

Checked numerous forums, called netgear (they where no help at all), called comcast, bill has been payed. :: angry :: .. the only way i can get on the internet is threw being wired.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
DHCP is turned on by default for pretty much every router out there. Besides, he said they connect to the router, they just won't surf the web.

OP, when you say your xbox connects fine I'm assuming you mean it's connecting wirelessly to the router and you can connect to xbox live, the web, etc.? One thing that needs to be known, what operating system are your PCs using?

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
Funny you bring this up. I just also bought the same router but have a terrible wireless tranfer rate(wired is 60-80 MB/sec. Wireless is in the 10kb/s range)...

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Sell it, quick. I've had mine since they came out back in september, its been nothing but a nightmare thanks to Netgears total and utter lack of quality software/firmware support. Truly sad, as the potential is so great. Though, i must say, i've never had problems connecting to the internet. I would suggest disabling all network security and trying again.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
MKIIINA;1590467 said:
Funny you bring this up. I just also bought the same router but have a terrible wireless tranfer rate(wired is 60-80 MB/sec. Wireless is in the 10kb/s range)...

My uncle just bought a D-Link and his wireless N had a low transfer rate. I ended up dialing down the mixed-mode to just G/N and changed the bandwidth to 20/40Hz. It brought it up from ~68k to ~150-200k, and this was with a USB dongle plugged into his computer instead of a dedicated card. I would suggest trying something like that -- disable mixed-mode completely or dialing it back like I did, see if that works. Truth be told though, Netgear really isn't the greatest out there; I'd suggest D-Link or the Apple Airport Extreme, personally.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Netgear is TERRIBLE, had first hand experience with their shit products and everyone I know that's bought their stuff has returned it because of issues...

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Poodles;1590807 said:
Netgear is TERRIBLE, had first hand experience with their shit products and everyone I know that's bought their stuff has returned it because of issues...

Yep, same for some other brands that I've tried. Eventially I decided that paying more for a linksys was worth not having headaches. It's only been a few weeks, but I don't think I'll have a problem because it's already performing better than the others out the box did.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
I have a DIR628 Dline router, love it. I get 3-4MB/sec dl and 500 to 800 KB/sec upload on wireless about the same but a little quicker wired.

I've run into a few issues like this, i find it that the coaxial cables that are in my house are gonig bad from moving furniture around. I've called the company to come down and rewire and replace the modem. I've never had this issue til the new place and this router they gave me. When i reset the modem I have no issues until it happens again =/

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
IwantMKIII;1590760 said:
Sell it, quick.
:thumbup:
A. Jay;1590962 said:
Poodles;1590807 said:
Yep, same for some other brands that I've tried. Eventially I decided that paying more for a linksys was worth not having headaches. It's only been a few weeks, but I don't think I'll have a problem because it's already performing better than the others out the box did.
Exactly what I ended up doing - selling my netgear for a linksys. Best interwebz decision of my life, haven't had a problem since I set it up.

Cycoclown

SHAAWING!!!
Jan 18, 2008
Vacaville, CA
www.myspace.com
i have 3 computers. my toshiba laptop is vista and the other 2 are windows xp sp2.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

So pretty much ive been doing alot more research, it appears alot of people are having issues with both netgear and comcast, my roommates dlink router does the same crap, lets u access the router and limits connectivity.

This being said i took the router and my laptop to 2 different houses
My Cousins: (motorolla surfboard modem)
My Moms: (POS DSL box from 2003)

Wirelessly i had no problems at either one, reconfigured with the install cd from netgear. BOTH times. we had 2 computers and 2 xbox 360's linked up wirelessly all of them running with minor lag issues.

At my moms house was an entire different issue, super slow DSL (blah blah blah)

Im wondering if possibly my modem could be affected by this.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
I did research before buying a cheap wireless router and from what I read, the series that you bought is just bad (those boxy ones that netgear sells). The hardware is apparently crap and they'll end up dying sooner or later. The linksys, especially earlier models, are supposed to be good. I actually ended up getting netgears basic wireless router WRT45G or something like that. I didn't see many complaints in regards to those, but you don't get the gigabit link or anything fancy with it. It cost me $20 and I've been running it for the past 6 months with no problems.

Cycoclown

SHAAWING!!!
Jan 18, 2008
Vacaville, CA
www.myspace.com
Well i solved my problem, took it back to best buy, i was within my 30 days so they credited my card the full 180 i paid, and i got the Linksys E3000 Dual Band gigabit router. It was 30 cheaper then the netgear.

I must say, 3 xbox's and 2 pc's running with minimal lag problems but ALL of them where able to log on at the same time.

Going back to linksys routers is the smartest thing ive done(I was an idiot to switch in the first place). Netgear can suck on my supras tailpipe, Good specs on their high end routers but their firmware bites the dust.