NEO issue, one pull then no power

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
I installed a Neo upgraded with the latest software on my 88 7mgte supra preparing for future upgrades. Air maps at 0 all the way. When I accelerate past 5000rpm, it has no response to throttle until the rpms fall below at least 2k. Throttle still registers on the neo. Neo still registers afm signal. Rpm still registers. No power for second pull. Even free rev past 5000rpm yields the same results. As soon as I let off the throttle past 5k, the rpms must fall below 2k before any response is gained. Help.

edit: While driving it today I realized that it acts a little different. When I rev past 5k, let off the gas all the way(like to shift), it will then be unresponsive for a random amount of time(always long enough to kill a good hard pull). It acts like there in no fire during this time, but tach still works. No codes related to problem.

Last edited:

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
Ok, I found the problem. It had nothing to do with the neo. I had a small coolant leak on the isc to throttle body hose. It was spraying coolant on the tps and causing the problem. Not quite sure about how that could have made those results, but it did. Once I replaced the hose and dried off the tps, it stopped doing that.

bovvinsuprahiro

Jul 12, 2008
Lincoln, ne
7m master;1291459 said:
so how is the neo going with you?
did you prefer to use it rather than other EMS

yes i want to know too? just got one! do you have the write up for the wiring only been looking for 30 mins but cant find it. thanks

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
Yeah, the neo is working great. I am just disappointed to find that the decel air feature that was originally programmed in for the karman sensors was deactivated with the new program upgrade because of some sort of signal input spikes that occur during operation. If you can still find a early user manual on the neo, it lists it as a function. The new manual on the apexi website only lists the function for the hotwire sesnors. I called apexi to see if they were working on a newer version that will give me the decel air function back, he said not to hold my breath. I wonder if everyone calls and complains about that if they will see it as a priority and get busy on that.

As far as neo vs EMS: The neo is WAY cheaper and easier to use. However it may only support power levels (on the supra) to 400hp. Maybe more, but you sure would be pushing it. I did buy an old apexi sitc that allows me to adjust the timing at different rpm points so that the timing won't be so far off with the neo's and lex afm/550 adjustments on the fuel/ spark maps. If I wanted to run more than 450hp, I would def run EMS.

Last edited:

bovvinsuprahiro

Jul 12, 2008
Lincoln, ne
suprahilux;1296077 said:

thanks. just got my boost leak fixed today and had to head to work but tomorrow it is me and the neo one on one until it is done... or work again haha. I will be happy with mid to high 300whp I dont want to build the engin internals yet. I got the lex afm and am looking at injectors. I have all hard piping,FMI, and wide open exhust. New CT26 57trim with MBC and am looking for an eletric fan. So i think i can get close.

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
bovvinsuprahiro;1296855 said:
thanks. just got my boost leak fixed today and had to head to work but tomorrow it is me and the neo one on one until it is done... or work again haha. I will be happy with mid to high 300whp I dont want to build the engin internals yet. I got the lex afm and am looking at injectors. I have all hard piping,FMI, and wide open exhust. New CT26 57trim with MBC and am looking for an eletric fan. So i think i can get close.

That's a pretty good start. To anyone looking to upgrading injectors, I would recommend getting a wideband. It is devastating to the engine to run lean. I have melted a head gasket running a little lean in a matter of a few days. That would be a concern if you haven't swapped to a metal head gasket. I would also suggest looking at the rest of your fuel system. FPR, hoses, fuel pump; all of these can be necessary when doing the lex/550 swap. Keep in mind the fuel system was intended for stock power levels. Increasing power a little may be fine, but more power means more fuel demand. Even if you don't hit boost cut with your lex/550 mod, there is still a chance you will run lean with the stock fuel system. If you have to sacrifice the elec fan for fuel, it is a worthy cause.

My power goal is 400hp, maybe more. I already have the afm and injectors + extras, but I have yet to install them until I can get the rest of the supporting mods. Just need fuel hoses and wideband. Then I will need mk4 tt rims to maintain the traction I need. I have already coated the roads of Huntsville with the rubber from my tires.:evil2: