Need to quiet exhaust, need suggestions

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
OK Guys,
I have a 3" Exhaust system from turbo back, no cats, no resonator, just pipe and a Basani muffler. I am driving this car every day now and it's loud inside the cabin. It drones a lot!!! I'm thinking about putting my cat back on and adding a resonator to quiet it down a little and then adding a cut out right before the cat so I can boost a lot when going to the track. But everywhere I called said they wouldn't put a cutout before the cat it had to be after.

Should I get a different muffler and add a resonator?

Should I reinstall the cat now or just for emissions?

Thanks for the help guys.

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I'm in the same boat, except I have a 3" high-flow cat and a Borla straight-through muffler. I'm going to the exhaust shop to get a resonator installed in the near future, I'll update you when I get done.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
I had 3 inch from turbo back with a summit turbo muf at end... and it droned... so i put the muffler were the resonator was it still droned... then I tryed a few mufflers i cut off car lot cars and left the summit muffler still were res was..typical round big tip ones... and it STILL droned... so i took a peace of pipe that fit snuggly inside the muffler... cut it on chop saw about every 2 inches about 1/3 way threw and turned it just a little ever cut.. then ball pened one side down inside the pipe... then hammerd it in muffler... lost just a tad of power but its as quiet as can be.... The set up is on my Gfs 88 now.. as i got side pipes ... and i love the sound of them...no drone at all.. just nice deap tone when you get on it...

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Nocheez;1046859 said:
I'm in the same boat, except I have a 3" high-flow cat and a Borla straight-through muffler. I'm going to the exhaust shop to get a resonator installed in the near future, I'll update you when I get done.

Thanks, Nocheez,

I'm going to put my cat back on and get a resonator as well. I just want it a little more quiet.

There is a shop locally that will do the cut out that I found. Or I could just unbolt the cat when I go to the track.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Running no cats but definitely the resonator and a generic off the shelf muffler. Nice and quiet except for the turbo spinning up and that helps get pedestrians out of the way.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
If you like the look of your current setup, buy a cat and resonator and be done with it. If not, buy one of the quieter systems but add the cat. I see no reason to not have a cat on a street car.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Sawbladz;1047118 said:
If you like the look of your current setup, buy a cat and resonator and be done with it. If not, buy one of the quieter systems but add the cat. I see no reason to not have a cat on a street car.

I'm thinking about changing the muffler, the only reason I took out my cat was because there was nothing in it and it droned even more.

Or you could just take everything off and add a TANABE HYPER MEDALLION!!!!...LOL

Is this a quiet exhaust? I haven't ever looked into exhaust before.

MK_rider

Nov 17, 2007
wisconsin
Yep, tanabe is quiet and good for performance too. It's quiet when your cruising but when you put the pedal to the medal, it sounds awsome.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I have a 3" exhaust from the turbo back, a 3" hi-flow cat, and an 3" in and dual 2.5" out Magnaflow muffler it drones quite a bit puttin around town. It's not that bad while cruising but it's still there. I was thinking of trying to find a reasonator to have put on it. Where can you get 3" reasonators?

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
MK_rider;1047473 said:
when you put the pedal to the medal

:biglaugh: I think you mean "metal"

gtsfirefighter;1047484 said:
Where can you get 3" reasonators?
Summit sells a straight-through 3" resonator for like $70. Your local muffler shop should carry something as well. Talk to them.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
Tanabe hyper medallion. I'm running it and its very high flow and quiet at light throttle input. Doesn't drone