need to pass CA star smog

Mando

Oct 18, 2012
east bay, cali
jetjock;1950715 said:
Unlike the first test the engine now appears to be in fuel control but the EGR still needs to be looked at and fix the code 41 because an illuminated MIL will result in an instant fail.

I reseted the ecu and right after I did it the code was still showing ? does it pickup the fault that quick? I need to check all the circuit of the tps then. btw anybody have a pic of this part circled in red ? and location on the engine bay ? thx much....

Mando

Oct 18, 2012
east bay, cali
also forgot to add do all CA mk3s need to have 2 catalyc conv? and 2 o2 sensors? like on the diagram? because I think mine has only one cat and one o2????

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
1) 41 is set immediately. It will not cause high NOx but the illuminated MIL will result in an instant test failure.

2) CA 7MGEs have two cats and two O2 sensors. In nearly all cases only the main cat is needed to pass. Need both O2 sensors however.

3) The EGR cooler is a cavity machined into the rear of the cylinder head. Has a cover with eight bolts. Unless it's leaking or plugged it can't be related to your problem. Much more likely something else with the EGR isn't working.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
mjsn1;1940109 said:
I dont know how it done in the US, but in Saudi we just give the inspector $200 and he will pass the car.

$200 goes a long way in his hometown of Mumbai.

I also here that you can pass by putting water in the exhaust.

Yeah. And how exactly does that work?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Mumbai is in the East Bay? Oh wait, I guess it is. Along with Kabul. Don't get me started...

He might be thinking of H2O injection for carbon cleaning. That said I'm continually amazed at the dumb things I hear one should do to pass emissions.. That 99% of them are completely ineffective shows just how ignorant people are about this stuff. The various "solutions in a can" sold at car stores are especially sad.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jetjock;1951405 said:
Mumbai is in the East Bay? Oh wait, I guess it is.

Workers from central and easter asia move west to oil rich countries. Sort of like sneaking across the rio grande, only legal. Kuwait even more so. Then again, I would rather live in Kuwait and work at a hotel than be a pig farmer in the PI or something similar.

DanDog

Woof
Mar 6, 2011
Southern California
2) CA 7MGEs have two cats and two O2 sensors. In nearly all cases only the main cat is needed to pass. Need both O2 sensors however.

Just thought I would mention I drive a 1986.5 CA Supra with just one cat and one O2 sensor.
And my FSM only shows the turbo with two.

If it matters I'm in Southern California and the original owner.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
GEs have one cat. JJ meant to write GTE. Interesting that you have one O2 sensor. Are you sure it is a CA spec car (must be if you bought it here)?

Last edited: